Chapter 6

Sundays were for family time around the Beamin house. Dad was busy a lot with the werewolves and all of their many law suits that needed to be handled, and Mom was the same way with her cases and conferences. It wasn't unusual for me and Sean to be left alone for days at a time. But, they had always said if we were all home on Sundays, that was for family time. We used to do cool stuff together, but now that Sean and I are teenagers, most of the stuff seems rather lame. But, we understand why it's being done, so we suffer through it.

While we're spending time as a family, we have to turn off our cell phones, so by Sunday night when I finally was allowed to turn mine back on, it had practically blown up with texts. Luckily I was offline, or my IMs probably would have been just as bad.

Tomorrow is going to SUCK! Call me ASAP. Kara. Of course I'd get the best answer from Kara, so I called her.

Even though we were on the phone for like two hours Sunday night, it didn't prepare me for the icy blast that met me Monday morning when Brody and I walked into school. "Did we do something to someone?" his eyes darted around as we stopped at my locker.

"No, but I need to eat lunch with my group," I traded out books then closed it. "You're driving me home, right?"

"Yep," he took my hand and led me down to his locker. "Ah, much warmer here. What happened?"

"Friday night leftovers," I sighed. I leaned into him, as if I was giving him a hug. "I think I'd rather deal with demons that I'll have to kill than with high school drama."

Brody laughed. "You say that now, doll, but we'll see when you actually have to do it." He closed his locker. "I guess I'll see you sometime."

"After practice?" I asked and followed him down the hall.

"Yes. Oh, where is dinner this week? Mom is already asking when you can come back," he stopped me in front of my class.

"I think Mom is looking forward to you being at our house this week," I glanced in the room, and Kara was motioning me in with her head. "We'll talk about it later."

"Yep," he kissed me softly, then turned to go to his class.

I took my seat and saw that Marc and Ashley weren't even looking at each other. Kara looked like she wanted to talk to me, but I knew she couldn't say anything while the others were around. I hoped she could before lunch. As soon as class was over, she grabbed me and drug me out of the room. So much for subtle.

"Marc finally talked to Ashley, and he told her that the kissing was a mistake," Kara looked around to make sure the others weren't following. "I pretty much beat him for that, because who just comes out and says that? Anyway, turns out, she has feelings for him and now is all down because he doesn't return those feelings even though they kissed for apparently a really long time."

"Crap on a stick," I leaned against my locker. "Today's going to be fun."

"I really don't know what she was thinking going along with it," Kara opened her locker, which luckily for us was very close to mine. "She knows how he feels about Brianna. Oh, and now she seems to finally be sniffing around."

"It just keeps getting better," couldn't wait to tell Brody that yes, I totally preferred the thought of killing demons to the drama that seemed to be settling in around my friends.

"Just be prepared at lunch," Kara closed her locker, waved and walked toward second period.

Time flew, just when I didn't want it to, and just when I thought it was the end of second period, it was actually time for lunch.