Chapter 9

Dad and Peter were already in the study waiting for us. I shut the door after us and I sat down. Brody stood behind me, like he guarding me. I kind of hated it, but it also made me feel very safe.

"I'll be going over to the Inman's house after dinner to put up some wards. Misha will be meeting me to assist. There are already wards here, so I'd like for you to stay until we're done," Dad looked to Peter.

"Sure, do what you need to do, Charles," Peter nodded.

"As for you," Dad threw a sword at me, and I held it still with my mind, looking at it as it hung in the air. I didn't trust that I could get my hands up fast enough before it slammed into my face. I could have sworn that Peter let out an appreciative whistle. "You'll become very familiar with that. It was forged to kill demons. It's lightweight, so it will be perfect for you. You start Monday night. As soon as school is out, you and Brody will be training every day. I'm sorry, Emily."

"No," I plucked the sword out of the air. From pictures I'd seen, I knew it was a katana. "After dealing with that thing at school, I'm all for it."

"Have you thought of possibly putting her into situations that will bring out more of her powers? She needs all the advantages she can get," Brody said.

"You mean like drag me to a bunch of different haunted houses and locations?" I twisted so I could see Brody.

He clapped his hands to produce that book, then handed it to my dad. "The list of powers she'll have is in the front."

Dad opened the book and read over it. "The fire would be very useful. She'll still need to be trained to fight, because not everything can be taken that way."

"Fire?"

"You'll be able to set fires just by thinking about it," Dad looked up from the book. "I'd like to see you get that one, the strength would be good as well. And the toughness, especially that one."

"Sounds like the universe is totally making me a fighter," I grumbled, and didn't realize that everyone else heard me.

"That's the point, Sweetheart," Dad looked back down at the book again. "Six powers. Oh, the aura reading is another one she needs, and so is the one to get information from objects. That will make tracking easy. Yes, let me see if I can set up some situations so she can get one or two more." He gave the book back to Brody.

"Just let me know so I can be with her," Brody threw the book and it disappeared.

"Wouldn't have it any other way," Dad leaned back in his chair.

I felt like all of these things about me were being planned without me. "Is this my life," I turned and looked at Brody, "I mean, our lives from now on?"

"I'm afraid so," Dad nodded. "But, I understand, because once I started coming into my powers, I knew that's how things would be for me. Don't worry, Sweetheart, we will get you trained. And keep you safe. Maybe you two could go explore a haunted house on Sunday."

"What about family day? I figured you'd want to do something nice since it'll be Nate's first one with us," we'd had family day forever, and if Dad had to leave town, he usually tried to go at night so he could spend the day with us. There were very few exceptions, like the one date I got to have with Brody.

"I think we could make an exception just once," Dad said. "I was going to suggest he go visit with Andrew on Sunday anyway."

There was a knock on the door and Mom poked her head into the room. "Dinner's ready."

"Go put that in your room before you join us," Dad stood. "I'll get you a knife or something that you can carry to school."

"Wait," I said before they could walk out the door. "How'd it go after the game?"