87 | When the Petal Falls

<Namari>
I couldn't believe it. When was the last time I saw him? How long has it been? And when was the last time we promised to meet?

All my emotions just poured out. From the fact the I couldn't play with the rest of the kids, to even seeing him. I couldn't handle it. Not at all.

"W-wha, you're crying all of a sudden?!" He knelt down and frantically tried to help me.

"I thought you weren't coming back Ichirō." I wailed uncontrollably. "You left without saying goodbye." I continued balling my eyes.

"I, uh." Ichirō wiped away my tears with his big hands and hugged me. His hard chest that pressed against me, but he hugged me gently without hurting.

It was enough for me to stop all my tears.
He was warm, warmer than any spring day.

"I'm so so so sorry for not seeing you before I left. It was very hectic the week before I was about to leave. Even when I was there, there was a strict policy of maintaining good marks. I'm sorry Mari, will you forgive me?" Ichirō asked desperately, with a guilty expression.

"Y-Yeah." I nodded my head. "I forgive you." I blushed when I spoke. Uhh this is embarrassing.

"Thank you. I promise that I won't do it again." Ichirō took out his pinky and we swore on it.

Ichirō reached for my hand and I got up with him. Then we paused before actually doing anything else. He looked down at me and I stared feeling uncomfortable, but not in a hateful way. I just didn't know what to do or say, at times like these.

"You've grown into a beautiful young lady." Ichirō complemented with a delightful tease. "Your hair has grown out and you're taller now." He pointed out.

"Before you know it, I'll be as tall as you." I pouted.

"Hahaha, yeah you will, won't you?" Ichiro replied.

"Come on, why don't we visit my dad's grave together? I was on my way and I would like to have company." Ichiro suggested and I nodded my head.

"Yeah..." I agreed to join and we both stared walking together, with our hands still intertwined.

With the sidewalk ahead of us, I could only find amazement in the cherry blossoms in full bloom. Ichiro was as tall as most of the branches, his shoulder bumping into some. And when he managed to brush his own hand up and touch the buds above, some of the soft pink petals dances in the air and fall into my path.

I couldn't help but to think about how many springs have past since. How many cherry blossoms have fallen since. I would like to one day, any day, just stop and stare at them. But our time like this in the vicious cycle wont stop, time will continue to rot, and we won't be able to stop and just stare at today.
•••••
<Nakaru>
Mari would usually arrive home by now.
I've texted her on her cellphone and tried calling Zuzu if she had known. Apparently she never went over to hang out with Nozomi.
At first I wanted to get ahold of Momma and Papa, but I felt like it would be too much of a burden. So I ended up calling Tomohito twins, Benjiro and Hinata and they said she never stopped by, nor seen her.

I pondered to myself about where she could be. But am I over reacting? I just happen to wonder all of a sudden because I finally submitted my prolonged project that sucked the energy out of me. Maybe when I'm so engrossed in my studies, I don't even notice when Mari actually gets home.

DING

The doorbell rang and automatically I suspected it to be Mari. See, I am just overthinking everything. I opened my bedroom door and headed down stairs to the front door. When I opened it, I saw someone taller than me who obviously can't be Mari.

"Yo." Haruki greeted me unexpectedly. His chiseled jaw and fluffy hair that swept across his forehead. His shoulders are broader than before and that smile of his conceived his younger self.

"I thought you said you were visiting next week..." I said in shock, while he patted my head like how Papa does it.

"Shhh. It's a secret. I'm going to surprise everyone." Haruki came inside and we both sat down.

But the angst of the fact that Mari still hasn't come home yet. And Haruki noticed right away.

"Is Mari around?" He asked.

"No she hasn't come home yet." I answered.

"You look worried." He pointed out. "Have you've always been the doting brother that you are, even when I was gone?" Haruki slightly nudged and laughed.

But that wasn't the case.
"You should say that I've changed for the worst." I honestly replied, "the truth is that we've grown apart." I bit the bottom of my lip.

Haruki crossed his arms and shook his head.

"You're exaggerating. It's better to say that you pushed her away, but she wouldn't let you push her closer to the edge. Let me guess, school work?"

"Can't blame the workload, can I?" I sighed.

"Then go look for her." Haruki frowned. "Just imagine the look on her face when she sees that you're searching for her. Aren't you worried?"

I inched forward from the seat.

"Of course I am!" I shouted.

"Then go find her, stupid. I'll be fine alone at home. I need to unpack anyways. Text me when you find her." Haruki got up and handles his luggage.

I stood up as well and watched his drag his back upstairs before he disappeared around the corner.

"Plus when you get back, I'll be cooking!" Haruki loudly said from the upstairs. "Call my idiot brother while you're at it, and Nozomi too." He added before there was utter complete silence.

I don't know why but with Haruki, talking to him makes it easier for me. Maybe it's because he's older and wiser, maybe he's just always been like that. I admire it. I hope that I can be reliable like him someday. He's just so cool!

I opened the front door and stepped out, while closing the door behind me.

If I want to be like Haruki, I must appreciate what I have now. Family and friends.
It took some time for me to admit it now, but Daichi is right. I'm only fixated on the future and I have the ability to change now.
I guess having Haruki home again, finally slapped me to my senses. From the embodiment of someone successful.

I just have to break down this barrier I've built. The one that keeps me from achieving what I really want. Like a glass dome that I've been living in for so long, I've forgotten about the world around me.

"Nakaru!"

I look ahead and saw the cherry blossom petals whimsically reveling in the wind. The figure of another man who is also far out of my reach.

I want to grow up. I don't want to grow up.
The battling truth that I've been so hung up on since the days it was just momma and I.