09 | Freedom In Our Hands

<Nagisa>
I had slept with what Sugino had told me that day. Who would have thought that he would be stuck in the past. How unfortunate.
Plus, it's because of a girl. I wonder who?

Anyway, scratching all the mysterious about that man. Today was the day that I finally get to see Karma. That and if the alterations had worked. I'm looking forward to it!

Today was also the day when dad and I tell mom about me moving out. Hopefully it'll be easy to slip by. Can't get my hopes up though.
•••••••
When I made it to the facility, I met with Shi on the way. I explained everything I did when she was gone. Of course, she expression of surprise was hysterical.

"Have you lost your mind!" She shook me back and forth. "Without the board's consent?!" She screamed with a whisper.

"It's alright." I assured.

"To think that my junior would break the rules while I was gone! You've gone mad!" She sighed.

"Shi, trust me. It'll be worth it."

"I'll trust you." Shi giggled, "but if you get in trouble, I wasn't part of this."

"I understand." I locked my arm into hers.

I have a feeling that Karma will succeed my expectations today.

"I want to see it too." Shi spoke as if she was lingering in my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"I want to see our fantasies become reality. We'll make Karma the best there is. Unstoppable." Shi gleamed.
"Y-yes!" I agreed.
•••••••
<Karma>
Ever since that day when Nagisa had secretly wired my brain. I've been feeling this weird sensation in my heart. For some reason, I felt disconnected my myself, yet it didn't bother me. Why was I able to feel my face muscles? How was it that I was able to see everything around me so different now?

Blinding. It's incomparable to how it was before. Even the world knowledge she forced in as well. Why did I know so much about the things I don't need to know about?
My hands. I can move them. My legs, I can walk with them. All because of the frail pole called a spine. Sensors that send messages to the brain. All of this, it and intrigued me more.

The lab doors slid open. In came Nagisa and Shizuka.
I really never took the time to notice the different features these two had. Nagisa's sky blue hair, compared to Shizuka's blonde hair with tinted black on the bottom. The eyes they had revealed it all. Nagisa's eyes shouted innocence and adventure. Shizuka's eyes spoke of this serious manner, contained and fruitless.

They both came towards me.

"Feeling any different?" Nagisa asked me.

"If you're talking about all information that's bombarding my head. Then yes."

Then those two inched farther away and whispered in secrecy. After they finished, they came close once again. The glass wall that separated us.

"Hey, where do animals go when their tails fall off?" Shizuka asked.

I blankly stared at her, wondering why she had asked that. "Retail store." I answered.

"H-hey!" Shizuka pushed her arm into Nagisa as she began laugh out loud.

"I gave just as much knowledge that circulates the internet, even the dark webs. He knows about everything. Even all the jokes in the book." She giggled, "but that joke partially, come on! Any better than that?"

Nagisa wrapped her arms around her stomach while her humorous self took over.

"T-that's- you should of told me!" Shizuka lost her straight composure and her face was red like a tomato.

If I were to choose, I found Nagisa's smile and laughs more attracting. Pure, free. It must be nice to live on the other side.
I couldn't help but to crack a smile, maybe a chuckle or too. My face just moved on its own.

"K-karma." Nagisa's face became rosy red as she kept her eyes on me. Like she was in a daze.

"That's it, huh?" Shizuka held her hands. "It was worth it. This is what you wanted right?" Shizuka patted Nagisa's back and gleamed back at me.
••••••
<Nagisa>
Ba-bump Ba-bump
My fixation on that smile of his overwhelmed me completely. What was this odd feeling in my chest? My heart suddenly raced on its own accord. Karma's smile made my day.

"It's beautiful." I blurted.

When I realized what I had said, Shizuka was already giggling on the side as Karma looked confused as well.

"N-no! That's not what I meant-"

"Heheh, Nagisa. I agree. It's such a sight, isn't it?" Shizuka had my back. "Savor it."

I glanced back at Karma who stood patiently for us. He looked so alive. Real. Just like us.
•••••••
When I had left work at 9pm, the real issue of moving out had managed to punch my gut.
Dad picked me up from work and we rode back home together. Awaiting the wrath of the merciless monster.

We called her downstairs and we sat at the dinner table with an awkward silence that dominated for awhile.

"What is it?" Mom asked without acknowledging dad's presence.

"We've been thinking for awhile now and I think it's best that we get your approval as well." I started.

"And?" She pestered for more.

"I think it's time that I moved out. Get an apartment and start living by myself." I confessed.

"W-what? Excuse me?" Mom slammed her hand in the table. "Living by yourself?"

Dad stepped in.
"Honey, she needs to be independent-"

"Shut up!" She snarled. "What kind of ideas have you been putting in her head? Huh?!"

First, my mom rose from her seat and then following dad. Back and forth they began to argue.
That's when mom slapped dad.

"Stop it will you?!" I snapped out. It was surprising to me to find that even mom was questioning my sudden outburst. Yes, I can get angry too. I have feelings too!

"I'm moving out and that's final!" I finalized, "you'll be better off without me. Mom, I'm getting older, I can't be like this forever."

She glared at me and then at dad, "raising your voice and talking back to me? That's not how I raised you!" My mom threw her arm in the air and I knew what was coming.
I waited for it. I deserved it. This is what I get for opposing my own mother.

"That's enough."

I saw the hand of dad's, catching her hand with a firm grasp on the wrist. He had saved me from her formidable wrath. He has saved me from mom.

"There are much more civil ways to speak without violence." He spoke against mom.

For the first time, he stood proudly.
For the first time, I'll be able to taste freedom.