33. Swimming or Drowning Alone

__

DELTA

I rest my head on Xavier's chest, feeling the slow of his heartbeat beneath his skin. Hair soft and silky, I run my fingers through his locks with my free hand, admiring the way they curl around my fingers.

Flecks of pure gold sparkle in his dark eyes. I stop to admire them.

"Don't look at me like that," he quietly demands, sensing my gaze and fiddling with my fingers in his hand.

I snort out a laugh. It's an ugly sound, but he looks at me and beams anyway, satisfied that he'd made me smile. How are you feeling?"

I wiggle in place, shuffling closer to him. He doesn't smell as bad as he had before our clothes came off, but that could just be me.

"I'm sore," I tell him, feeling the tingle of the trails he'd left on my body only moments ago.

"Did I hurt you?"

"No. You'd never hurt me."

My eyes close for just a moment, and suddenly my mind drifts to before Xavier went MIA; before he fell drunk on my bedroom floor.

"That girl, uh—the one you were kissing in the hallway? Did you have a 'thing' with her?"

He scoots closer to me. "I didn't kiss her, didn't want to." He looks at me. "I had a thing with her, but not for her. You're gonna think I'm a dick for this, but—"

"...but?"

"I was really only with her to make you jealous."

I slightly gasp, slapping his arm hard to show him he'd probably gotten on my last nerve.

"Hey! I'm naked! No shirt, no armor!" he squeals, covering his bicep with his hand.

"Assface," I mumble, watching that sly smile curl upwards on his face.

He laughs. I laugh. I think no matter what this kid does, he'll always find a way to bother the hell out of me.

"Crap. My mom's coming home early to pick up Braedyn today," I say, letting out an exhausted sigh. "We should probably get up."

Xavier really knows how to work me. I can barely move without one of my muscles aching in protest. I suppose that's my punishment for sleeping with the Devil.

He moves beneath the covers and gets up from the bed, taking all his warmth with him. The lack of body heat makes my skin prickle with goosebumps. I miss him next to me.

"I'm gonna change in the washroom. You're free to join me if you want."

Voila. An offer I can't refuse.

I willingly leave the comfort of my bed and take Xavier's hand, ignoring the pile of my clothes on the floor.

__

I don't know why I've never considered using the stairs as a work out, but then again I was probably avoiding the word "cardio" for a reason.

Xavier already made me lose my breath.

We get to the bottom of the stairs and faces me, and it's at that moment that I realize he wants to talk about something important.

It's me who decides it would probably be best if we take this into the garage.

It smells of musk and drywall, a very unpleasant smell. Still, I ignore the stench and put all my attention into Xavier. "What's wrong?"

"The Ravine," he starts, his hand hovering over the spot where his tattoo lies. "There's a fight booked for December eighteenth."