The group of women leaves and it leaves us in an awkward waiting silence. I look down at my hand, at the finger bearing the heavy rock. I internally grimace just staring at it. It hurt when I think that I was just proposed to in an impetuous manner just this morning. As if he couldn't have been more romantic about it.

My mantra comes to my mind.

Don't feel. Don't expect.

"I am running low on money and I... may not be able to pay for wedding expenses-

"David, please don't say," John speaks up, "that would be such an absurd thing if I allowed you to pay a penny for this wedding in the situation you are now. Had it been any other time, I would gladly consent you pay for it, but I would be glad to pay for their wedding. After all," he turns to Ethan and me,"I would be paying for my son and soon-to-be daughter's wedding. I've never got to say this, Evelyn, welcome to our family. I'm sure you know Mary is head over the hill that you'll be officially part of our family but accept my congratulations and know that I am just as happy, though not showing," he says sincerely.

"Thank you," my dad answers, though not for me, but on his part being thankful for being saved. He ashamedly gazes down at his feet.

"Don't mention it. We are friends," he slaps him on his back, like a brother would, "well, let's drink to it," he raises his glass. We all follow him and click our classes.

I wonder how can none of them see the awkwardness between Ethan and I. Perhaps they are expecting such behavior, still acclimating to the new changes, but for God's sake there is zero chemistry between us. Well, at least on his part.

At the end of the night, we see our guests out. Jessie is already falling asleep after eating so much macaroni and cheese. Mary and John are the first to leave since John needs to be in the office first thing in the morning. Although, he expressed happiness that he couldn't be happier to retire at his age.

"I need your signature on a couple of documents. Come to a lot, whenever you get a chance," dad says as he says his goodbye. I only nod.

I want to hug him and tell him that everything will be fine. To give him reassurance so that I can see his smile one more time, but I decided to stay quiet. Doing that, in front of Ethan, no matter how informal we have become, might make him feel embarrassed. David Campbell is never used to getting help from others.

"This was a long night," Ethan expresses as we finally close the door.

"It was," I agree with him.

I proceed to the kitchen to clean up the mess. Behind me, Ethan trails after me. I first take care of the dining table, cleaning the dishes. Silently, we work, helping each other out, while retaining the least contact touch. It's as if we are trying to avoid each other's skin, which annoys the hell out of me. We used to be close. We used to hold hands as children all the time. We used to see each other, half-naked when we were but ten years old. And seeing how far we have distant, it annoys me.

"Martin said we should make an appearance now that we have engaged. I have premieres in on Tuesday. For my newest movie. I thought it would be a great place to start," Ethan says as I put the last dish away.

Facing him, I dry my hands. Wow, I just like the fact that he quotes Martin but refuses to acknowledge that he would like me there, which only means he doesn't and he's only doing this for the sake of publicity.

"Ok," I reply.

He only nods. As if he just doesn't give a damn if I agreed or not, which adds more salt to my wound. The least he could have done was to show he actually cared.