Chapter Four: Behind Closed Doors

We spotted him walking down the street towards the ramen shop, book in hand. He went in and ate, and let me tell you, he took his sweet time. Naruto was beginning to get extremely impatient, and he was beginning to get antsy, too.

"Come on, (y/n), can't we get any closer or something? If he's talking, I wanna hear what he's saying"

And he was really starting to get on my nerves. "Naruto, we can't just get closer. Sensei's a jonin, if he can't already sense us watching him, he will soon. But he might not, if you just keep your mouth shut." I put a finger to my lips and glared at him.

He glared right back. Sasuke watched the whole thing, and then smirked when Naruto stuck his tongue out at me.

"Guys look, he's moving."

Kakashi paid for his ramen and then left the shop. He walked towards the hero memorial by the field where we had our first test earlier that day and sat in front of it, then closed his eyes. He sat and sat, for what seemed like ages and ages and ages. Naruto had begun to get bored after about two hours, so he decided to annoy all of us.

"This is boring! It turns out Sensei is just a boring guy. I'm borrreddd."

I sigh, because what kind of idiot thinks a stakeout isn't boring? Apparently Sasuke thinks the same way. "Idiot, maybe he's just an exciting guy on a boring day."

I am honestly so tired of their bickering, I swear you'd think there was some kind of sexual tension between the two of them. They've been arguing and messing around for the past few hours.

"Naruto, maybe you should just go since you're so bored. Go find something to do." He skipped off and I returned to watching Kakashi. Then I whispered, "Like Sasuke."

"Hey, (y/n), what did you say?!" Sasuke snapped at me.

I smirked as devilishly as I could. "You know what I said, dobe." I looked at him again and winked. "Go get some."

For a second I thought I saw the smallest hint of a smile creep onto his lips, and then it vanished back into the cold visage of a weather-worn stone. But now, his eyes were different.

"So it's Naruto, huh?" I handed him a water bottle. He took it and unscrewed the cap.

"What are you talking about?" I could tell by the look on his face that he knew exactly what I was talking about, he just didn't want to think that I, of all people, would figure it out. He didn't even want to think about it at all. He brought the bottle to his lips, but stopped.

"Look, you can act like you're stone-cold all you want, but I know. I can see it. Mostly because I'm not stupid, but because you've made it so obvious in the 8 hours I've known you. I know the real reason you don't pay any attention to the girls in the village."

He scoffed and crossed his arms, throwing his head to the side. "Oh yeah? What would that be?" He returned the bottle to his lips and started to drink.

"You don't like girls."

He choked on his water and had to pull the bottle away from his mouth, which was dripping all over the ground. He was still coughing a minute later.

"Are you done?"

"Why - cough, cough- would you say something like -cough- that?

"Tell me I'm wrong."

He just stared at me and then glanced away, off into the distance with a far away look in his eyes. We sat like that for a while, him staring into space and me watching both him and Kakashi. Finally around 9 o'clock, Kakashi got up.