Chapter 11: Blood Rain

She's so beautiful. Her soft breaths fill the room as she sleeps, a little snore will escape into the night here and there. She looks so calm, which is a welcome change to her usual brazen self. I could sit here and watch her forever, just sleeping in my lap under the moonlight. I do sit and watch her for a long time. Eventually the sun comes in through the window and casts golden morning light upon her face, waking her. 

And with her large, (e/c) eyes, she looks up at me. She's so adorable. Her hair is a frazzled mess, and her eyes say she's still tired. I want to stay like this forever. 

"Kakashi?" She asks me tenderly. 

"Yes, my love?" 

"Why didn't you save me?" The very utterance of those words makes my stomach turn.

"What are- " I start to ask, but she's no longer in my lap, she isn't even in the room anymore.          "(Y/n)? Where did you go?" 

After a look around the room, I see a blood trail. 

"(Y/n)? Where are you?" I yell into the house.

The blood leads through the house so I follow it. It goes down the hallway and to the front door, and out of it. When I step out of the door and onto the porch, I'm no longer at my house, and instead I'm in the middle of the desert. This looks like the Land of Wind I think to myself. The soft earth turns to sand as I walk on it. The wind gently blowing through the trees now whips fiercely through the open air, throwing sand into my eyes. The sun bares down mercilessly onto me. I have to shield my eyes in order to see the blood trail, which continues through the desert before me. 

I suppose my only choice is to follow this trail. Maybe it will lead me to her. 

I check my pockets and the rest of my clothes. No ninja tools except for a kunai. Great.  With a sigh, I take the first step forward, following the trail. After a while, though, it seems like I've been walking forever. I squint over the heat of the desert and spot a tree not far ahead. Maybe she could be over there, I think. My body breaks out into a run towards the tree. When I start to come up on it, I notice every leaf on the tree is green, but there doesn't seem to be any water out here. That's strange. As I approach it further, I see the trail of blood leads to a figure slumped over at the trunk of the tree. It looks like (y/n)!

I will myself to run even faster, abandoning all thought that there could be an enemy nearby. The heat of the sand burns, but I can't stop running, not until I reach her. Not until I can save her. She's unconscious when I reach her, and she's cold to the touch. She's bloody too.. Where is all this coming from? 

I check her over for wounds, but I can't find one and the blood just keeps coming. How do I fix it?

"(Y/n)," I call out, shaking her lightly. "Wake up, (y/n)."

She slowly opens her eyes, but they're glowing almost white, and she isn't looking at me. Her eyes are fixed on the leaves above us. I look too, and I almost wish I hadn't. The leaves turn red and start to bleed, followed by the trunk of the tree. Hot, thick blood comes cascading down onto us, staining our skin. 

I have to save her. I take her into my arms and start to carry her way from the tree, but then the sky goes dark and from it pours even more blood. It pools at my feet and sticks to my skin, my hair and clothes soaked from it, as well as hers. 

Is this atonement for the people I couldn't save? Will I even be able to save her? 

The blood keeps coming, and I keep walking. I have to keep walking. I have to keep going. Even if I drown in all this blood, I have to save her first.

Suddenly a flash of lightning dances across the horizon, never dispersing. It's almost impossible to see through the fog of red rain. And it's heading in our direction quickly. When it comes closer, I can distinctly see someone running at an alarming speed. If it weren't for the Sharingan, I might not be able to see. Squinting through the blood, could it be? I try to move, to run, but suddenly it's as if I'm stuck. My limbs are heavy like lead. The realization comes that I can't run to save the girl in my arms. 

And then a chidori is thrust through my chest. 

"Kakashi."

I was shaken awake by an ANBU member they call Tatsu.

"We sent scouts out to watch them and report their location. We can't tell where they're going yet, but they're moving fast. We should go."

I sit still for a moment, still collecting myself from what seemed like a nightmare that was all too real. I could feel the heat of the blood falling on me, I could smell the iron, my chest hurts as if I really was struck through with lightning. Someone used a chidori on me, which could mean that Sasuke isn't willing to giver her up without a fight. And what about all the blood? Is he going to kill her? A terrible feeling takes me over. I fully consider this situation as my fault. The fact that she's gone is on me. I need to do anything I can to fix it, to get her back. She's so full of spunk and potential. I can't let him destroy something so beautiful like that, it's unforgivable.

I pull my mask over my face and take a deep breath. 

"Let's go, Tatsu."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I kinda want to change the name of the story, because I just came up with the current one on a whim. I don't think it fits, but you guys could feel differently. What would you want it to be called, if you wanted it to be different?

-L