(14) Pants

Pete's dad sees him, about to go out the house. "Where do you think you're going?"

"The play?"

"What play? You're in a play? Did you borrow my car on Halloween?"

Disdainful denial.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Then I guess I should blame the car elves."

"Do whatever you want." He walks.

"Did you take it to that party?"

Wait.

He makes Pete stand there.

"I'm worried about you! You come and go all hours, doing god knows what, wearing these new clothes... What is going on with you?"

Tell him the truth.

"I took a pill sized supercomputer called a squip that's in my brain, and it talks to me & it's made everything better!"

"If you're not going to take me seriously-"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm supposed to believe you care? Look in the mirror! Ever since Mom left, you sit around like you're waiting for her to come back! If she did, you know what she'd find? A loser who's so afraid to have a life, he can't even put pants on!"

"I could ground you."

"I don't think you could. Good talk." He takes the car keys & leaves shutting the door loudly.

~~~~~~~

Mikey burns stuff on a ash can at his porch. "The guyliner Pete let me borrowed on my birthday no one else remember. Burn it." He throws it to the fire.

"Tickets to our 1st concert together. We don't even listen to them anymore. Super burn it." He throws that into the fire.

Pete's dad approaches to him. "Mr. Wentz, what are you doing here?" Mikey puts a fake smile. "We need to talk about Pete."

"Sorry, me & Pete aren't friends anymore."

"Do you love him?"

"Wait, what?" He blushes a little.

"He can be a little shit sometimes. We both know that. But that's no excuse to sit around burning incense while he turns himself into a monster!"

"Yeah, anyways, I'm gonna-"

"I can't help him. But, I think you know all the rules."

"I'm not what he wants."

"You are what he needs. You have everything. I need pants."

"You're here because you need... pants?"

"No, I need you to reach out to him. Pete won't listen to me. & I can't blame him. But, somebody has to watch his back."

"If I try harder to be his friend...you have to try harder to be his dad. There's shops down the street. I don't care what kind. Jeans, khaki, leather. You're not leaving that store until you buy a pair."

"You drive a hard bargain, son. Let's hurry."

~~~~~~~

A/N

jUST 2 MORE CHAPTERS REEEEEEEEE