-Chapter 10-

I had barely pulled my shirt on when I heard a knock on the door. "Coming!", I yelled, running down the stairs. As soon as I turned the doorknob, I felt her warm, familiar arms wrap around my waist, refusing to let go anytime soon. I was then greeted with a soft kiss on the forehead, leaving me feeling hot and flustered, pressed against her warm figure as she rocked us slowly side to side.

''Hey.'', I whispered, struggling to let out any other sound with how tight she was squeezing her arms around me. As soon as I spoke, I felt her grip loosen. ''Hi, princess. I'm so sorry about yesterday, I love you so much..'' I heard her voice crack and tighten up as she spoke, and I raised my head slightly to see tears in her eyes. She turned away, likely hoping I didn't notice. ''Hey, don't be like that..'', I started, placing my hand gingerly on her chin and pushing slightly to the right to angle her face towards me. I pecked her lips quickly, then pulled her closer. I felt her bury her face in my shoulder, and the area began to dampen as her body shook. ''Shh...It's okay...It's over now, you don't need to be sorr-'' I started to whisper, but was quickly cut off with a guilt-stricken wail. ''Yes, I do. You of all people should know that! I shouldn't have fucking hurt you, whether you deserved it or not!'' A pang of guilt sunk in my chest as she went on, sniffling. ''Just, I'm sorry, damnit..'' She broke out into a sob, and I started rubbing her back in slow circles in an attempt to soothe her. ''It's okay.. Come on, do you wanna take a walk or something?''

She backed away slightly to turn over to me, cheeks rosy and eyes glassy, and nodded with a small sniffle. I smiled softly, then backed out of the hug and laced my fingers with hers, holding it for a moment. I broke off to grab my coat, then quickly threw it around my shoulders. We then walked out of the door, hand in hand, and dread pricked my skin as I felt my phone buzz in the back pocket of my jeans. Without even having to check, I could tell who it was.

Jack... Fuck, why now?

I must've been staring off, because I snapped back to reality with a jolt as her warm hand rested gently on my shoulder. "Shit, w-what?" I stammered, turning my eyes towards her. She cocked an eyebrow and smiled playfully, then asked brightly "Pfft. Are you okay?"

I chuckled nervously, smiling back at her as casually as I could. "Yeah, heh. Fine, just tired as all hell." She giggled, and rested her head on my shoulder for a moment as we walked, then came off and whispered "I love you so much." I tried my hardest to give a genuine smile, but I simply just couldn't. If she wants to look at my phone, she'll kill me once she sees.

''I-I love you too.'', I stuttered out absentmindedly, and for once I couldn't shove the nervousness I felt to the back of my mind.

Stop, stop..She' might beat you again if she sees he's trying to talk to you. Please, just let it go for now..

I could feel my head- and for that matter, my heart- pounding as fear rose in my throat. I felt her gaze rest on me slowly once again, and I swallowed. ''Are you sure you're alright?'' She asked softly. But that tone won't fool me, I know Chasity well enough to know if I really tell her what's on my mind, she'll give her judgement on it.

Jeez. I'm bad at this.

''Yeah, fine, again I'm just tired. Nothing's up-'' I felt words get caught in my throat as I nearly said something awful.

Just tired from what happened yesterday.

I swallowed once again, closing my eyes for a moment. I then turned my head to look at her, keeping my eyes as bright as possible, and giving her a smile that I knew was fake. ''I just didn't get a lot of sleep, I guess.'' I knew by the look on her face that too wasn't the right thing to say. Tears welled up in her eyes, and I felt my heart turn heavy as obsidian. Oh no.

''Babe, you passed out after I..'' A pang of guilt stabbed my chest as a sob cut off her sentence. ''WHY DO YOU BRING THIS SHIT UP?!'' She screamed after a few moments, mingled guilt and rage pooling in her usually bright hazel eyes. She let go of my hand, and inched away from me slightly. ''Chasity, I didn't mean that..'' I started.

I need to think of an excuse.

''I came to a few hours later, then couldn't sleep from there. I didn't mean to upset you.'' I ended with a sigh, my voice trembling. Her gaze softened, and she slowly intertwined our fingers again. Relief washed over my fear-stricken body, and I relaxed a little. It worked.

''It's- eh- it's okay.'' By the way her voice sounded so gloomy, I knew this was all my fault. I never should've given Riley the gun, or else none of this would've happened. Maybe she'd be happily stroking my hair right now instead of timidly taking my hand and wiping tears off her rosy cheeks.

I hate myself. It's all my fault.