-Chapter 5-

I was fooling around on my phone with Chasity still sound asleep on my lap. She'd been asleep for almost an hour..Must be really tired. I was zoning out for a moment until I felt a buzz against my hand. Startled, I flinched, feeling her head jolt up for a moment. I felt fear instantly wash over me, as she began to stir. No, please no- please don't wake up. I'm not sure why it struck me with so much panic when she almost woke up; just part of me, I guess. But I could feel relief slowing my pounding heart as she shifted, and once again lay still. Brushing hair out of my left eye, I carefully pressed the power button to see who it was, and I smiled as I read the name.

Jack.

I tell him everything, he knows me better than my own parents. Jack was the first person I ever came out to, and he's been by my side ever since. I smiled even more as I read the words he sent on my screen.

Jack: So, did you do it?

I had quite a story to tell him. I opened the message, bringing me to our text conversation, and I began typing.

''Sorta. I wrote the note as planned, but then the kid I told to deliver it handed it off to the teacher. Long story short, I ran to the bathroom and Chasity came in soon after, and we kissed. We're dating, Jack, and I don't think I could be happier at the moment.''

I could feel my grin growing further as it showed that he'd seen the message.

''Read 4:48 PM''

Three gray dots popped up underneath, indicating he was typing.

Jack: Oh shit, Sam. Nice one! Sorry you got humiliated, but hey, you got yourself a girlfriend now. Is she with you atm?''

I looked down at Chasity, who was still knocked out. She looked like an absolute angel when she slept, so peaceful and tranquil.

''Yea. Knocked out on my lap, lol''

As I waited for Jack's response, I began tousling her hair again gently, making sure not to tangle anything or wake her up. I can't believe this girl's mine.

My phone buzzed once again, startling me a lot less this time. Guess it's not a good idea to hold your phone when you daydream.

Jack: Niiiice, nice ;) Anyway I gtg, soccer practice. Have fun!

I giggled under my breath.

''Haha, don't break your ankle at practice again. I'll talk to you later.''

I turned my phone off, tossing it carelessly to the side, and that was when Chasity began to stir. Her eyes opened slowly, glazed over with sleep. ''Hey.'' I said, smiling down at her. She looked up at me, and I nearly melted as her warm eyes met mine. ''Hello.'', she said back, grinning weakly. Her gaze then shifted over to my phone as she sat up. I felt nervousness creep up my back as her eyes narrowed suspiciously. ''Why'd you have your phone out?'' she said, moving her eyes so they were planted on mine once again. ''Uh..I texted Jack..?'' I replied, trying to hide the hint of confusion in my voice.

Why is she getting so defensive?

''Oh. And the hell did you talk about, hm?''

I flinched at her icy tone of voice.

''H-he...He asked m-me if I'd asked you out yet.'' I stuttered out. It was like her gaze was choking me. She scoffed. ''Pff, yeah. Okay, why're you stuttering so much then?'' I felt my veins run cold. I couldn't answer that....I stayed silent for a moment, avoiding her eyes. ''L-listen, we aren't hooking up if that's what you're thinking.'' Her eyes widened, and I instantly regretted letting those words out of my mouth. ''Open your phone. Now.'', she demanded. Trying not to shake, I grabbed my phone and entered the password. It was still left on my conversation with Jack, so I handed it over to her. She read it over, one eyebrow cocking further and further up as her eyes darted from side to side. Suddenly, she threw my phone against the wall in an outrage. ''WHAT THE HELL, SAM. HE SENT A WINK.'' Why is it a big deal... ''Y-yeah? He always does..He isn't trying to hit on me, babe..'' Rage burned like a wildfire in her eyes. ''Don't 'Babe' me. I can see right through you. And you better quit talking to him, or else I'll make sure it happens. Got it?!'' She raised her eyebrows at me, demanding an answer. ''O-o-okay..I won't..Promise.'' I said, my voice weak and small. Smoldering embers still glowed in her gaze, but she was calmer than she was a moment ago, and I was thankful for that.

''Yeah. You fuckin' better.''

I could feel myself almost tearing up. I didn't want to lose my best friend to my girlfriend...But if I didn't do what she said, I don't think I could imagine what would happen.

I'm scared...