Chapter 10

Head in her neck, Clint just couldn't believe his wife died. How could she just die like this, Bruce gave her the shot. It should have been better...

"Don't do this to me... Please, Charlotte, come back... Please..." He begged, tears quenching his wife's shirt.

The other stayed silent. Natasha started crying, Steve took her in his arms. Bruce put a hand on her shoulder, she looked at him with her eyes filled with water. He made a sign that meant Let's leave Clint alone. They were in the doorway when something unexpected happened.

Beep...

Everybody stopped. What was that noise? Bruce turned on himself to see Clint, head up, looking at Charlotte.

Beep...

"What the hell? Bruce. She... She just squeezed my hand..." Clint gasped, not understanding what was happening.

"She's... She's alive..." Banner said, running toward her.

Beep...

Natasha gave Steve a backbreaking hug. Banner took place on the left side of the bed, grabbed Charlotte's hand and told Clint to talk to her.

"Charlotte? It's me, Clint. Can... Can you hear me? Squeeze my hand if you can..." Clint whispered slowly, but got worried. "Bruce? She... She didn't squeeze..."

Beep...

"Don't worry, she's alive and that's all that matters... Weak but alive..." The scientist looked at the other in the door.

They all understood what he wanted. They left the small room for the living room where they could breathe and finally relax a little. The only one who wasn't feeling relaxed was Thor. Thinking about his wife, how Charlotte died in front of them and that she wasn't with Jane anymore, he knew she was in danger. Steve saw him first and knew right away what was wrong.

"Jane is going to be fine. We have Charlotte and she's alive. She will help us, you know that."

Natasha sat next to Thor and put a hand on his leg.

"Let's just watch a movie shall we." She proposed with a little smile on her face.

She got up, took The Hobbit and put it in the DVD player. She didn't want any romance, superhero or dramatic movie. Clint came to join them, with a rueful face.

"You didn't stay with Charlie?" Steve wondered about the sad man.

"No, Bruce wanted to check her vitals and he didn't want me to stay while he worked... What are you doing?" Clint asked, sitting down next to Tony.

"We're watching The Hobbit. Just to change our mind a little and wait for Charlie to wake up so she can tell us where to find Jane and the other women." Steve answered with his arms crossed in front of his chest waiting for the movie to start.

Bruce wanted to look at something special. That's why he wanted Clint to go away. When he first saw the blood in her inner thighs, he had a bad feeling. He did an ultrasound and his bad feeling got real. He buried his face in his hands, sighed and decided to wait until she was awake to talk to her. He wouldn't say a word to Clint, he wanted her to do it. He finished all the tests he wanted to do and started cleaning her up, so Clint wouldn't have to do it. Then he met the other in the living room. As soon as Clint saw Bruce coming in, he got up and ran to the nursery room. He got inside and the sight of his wife's body covered with cuts and bruises made him sick. He took a chair and brought it closer to her bed. He grabbed her hand slowly, afraid to break something in her fragile, pale body.

"I'm sorry, Honey... I'm so sorry. I never wanted you to get hurt like this... I'm supposed to protect you, not leave you on your own. I promise you, next time you have an appointment with a doctor, or even a dentist, I will come with you. I will never leave you alone... I promise. But please get better, please wake up..."

He waited for her to do so, to wake up but she didn't. The only thing she did was breathing, slowly. Feeling so miserable and tired, since he hadn't slept much the night before, he fell asleep with his head on the bed in an uncomfortable position.

Later that day, hope was finally on Clint's side. Charlotte's eyes opened slowly. The brightness of the room forced her to lift her arm in front of her face to block the light. Her move woke up her husband sleeping next to her. She looked at his face and recognized him immediately.

"Clint?" She whispered, confused.

She wasn't sure if she was in reality or in a dream.

"Hey... Hey Charlotte!" He exclaimed, seeing her finally awake. "How are you? ... No...No, you're alive and it's all that matters... Charlotte, I love you... I love you so much, and... and I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have let you go all alone... I should have taken a day off..." He cried, taking her in his arms, kissing her cheeks.

"It's ok..." She replied, so slowly it scared Clint.

He pushed her a bit to take a look at her face. But what he saw wasn't a good sign.

"Honey? What's wrong?"

"Clint? What happened exactly?"

He sat back on his chair, looking more miserable than ever.

"Clint?"

He sighed and finally answered without looking at her.

"You died for a few minutes and you came back."

"No... No..." She started crying.

"It's ok Charlotte... Shh... It's ok, you're alive now. Everything's ok." Clint tried to console his wife , taking her in his arms.

"No, it's not... It's not ok, Clint." She wiped away the tears on her cheeks. "I... I have to tell you something..."

"I know, Charlotte. The morning sickness, your mood swings, you said your breasts started to hurt a week ago... You're pregnant..." He interrupted her with a grin.

"Oh, Clint... I'm so sorry..." She sobbed even more.

"There's nothing to be sorry about, Honey. I wished for months that you would get pregnant soon, so we could start our family."

"No, Clint... I had a miscarriage... I'm not pregnant anymore." She tried to tell the news to her husband. But when she saw his face change from smiling to miserable, her heart exploded in a million pieces. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

Clint took her his arms and cried with her. While they cried in each other's arms, they didn't see Bruce in the doorway, crying.

I killed their baby... What have I done? Feeling his anger taking control of his body, Bruce ran out of the nursery. But it was already too late...