Chapter Twelve

« « « « « « « « « « « « «

• Samantha Ried•

« « « « « « « « « « « « «

CHAPTER TWELVE : NEW KID

Monday, Sept. 23rd

When I walked back into the room, Gina couldn't contain herslef. She ran up and met me at the door.

"Are you okay?" she looked around. "Did he prey on you?"

I furrowed my brows. Huh. Maybe that was what he was trying to do. Without entertaining the thought for any longer, I shook my head. He probably held a grudge for all the times I'd escaped his detentions.

"I'm fine, just greatly annoyed."

Gina nodded in understading. She just about ran to her seat.

Smart girl.

I went to my seat as well. Nica came up to me and grabbed my test paper. She immediately dropped it and started laughing. Everyone else got very quiet.

I was starting to see that Nica was the 'me' of Jefferson High. No one had ever heard her voice. The students surrounding me reminded me of how everyone looked when I told the homecoming committee about how much I loved food.

Nica didn't seem to mind the attention as much as I did. She laughed as loud as she wanted to until she was done.

"Everyone is staring at you," I hissed. I was actually half pleased.

She grinned and rolled her black eyes at me. "Please. They're gawking. At us."

She was right. Instead of only staring at Nica for laughing her in her booming voice, they were still in awe at me for literally screaming at Mackey.

Dammit.

Our teacher thankfully didn't walk back in for the rest of the period and the class was even more grateful to me for that.

One boy was brave enough to approach me, even with Nica perched on the side of my desk. I had to give him kudos for that.

"Aly, you sure scared Mackey."

I shrugged. "Yeah..." I was too blissful to be a raging bitch. Plus I had a slight respect for this kid.

"Aren't you that hot senior who transferred here this year," Nica wondered as of she didn't already know.

"That would be me."

"So why are you in a junior class? Are you dumb or something?" I asked, not that I remotely cared.

The boy laughed and shrugged. "I'm not really here for school I guess."

"Right."

Meaning he was excruciatingly dumb.

"Sports," Nica guessed, seeming excited to learn about this brave soul.

"No...no sports."

"Oh," she furrowed her brows.

I saw Aaron Fode flinch out of the corner of my eyes. What bit him in the ass?

"What's your name," Nica asked him. Once again, I was positive she knew exactly who he was.

The sultry sound of her voice made the boy suck in a shallow breath. "Cole."

"Cole," we said together. Then we cracked up.

At that, Aaron stormed out of the room.

Without blinking an eye, Cole replaced Aaron by stealing his seat.