Chapter 36

Liza was laying in her favorite position, with Grace as her pillow. The redhead was lightly running the tips of her fingers up and down her bare back.

"What are you thinking?" She asked.

"Nothing." Liza answered.

Grace chuckled, "Liar."

Liza lifted her head to look into green eyes, "What?"

Grace ran her fingers through Liza's hair, pushing it out of her face. "Liar. I can practically feel you thinking."

Liza kissed her stomach before crawling up the redhead's body to lay on her side next to her. Leaning on her elbow with her head on her hand she reached for Grace's hand, locking their fingers together.

"I was thinking about where I might be right now if I hadn't ran into you and your roommates that day."

"Where would you be?"

"I don't know but it wouldn't be here." Liza answered.

"You don't know that." Grace replied.

"Yes I do. I really don't think Cali and I would have been able to work things out if you hadn't returned my feelings. Even if we could have I don't think I'd have been able to be around if you'd have come home with someone, especially a woman. It would have been too hard."

"So you would have re-upped?'

"Eventually yes. I think I would have."

"And your family isn't enough to stay for?"

"Enough to not go off and get myself killed but I wouldn't have stayed here. There isn't anybody else out there for me Grace. Only you. Jess, Meg and Cali, I'd have made my life work for them but not here. Not if you hadn't told me you loved me." She pulled Grace's hand to her lips. "I'm here because you saved me from myself. I'll come home to you because you love me. Because of some random chance of running into you that day I'm home and I'm whole. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life showing you just how much you mean to me."

Grace raised up on to her elbow to softly kiss Liza, "I love you."

Liza laid down and Grace snuggled into her side with her head on Liza's shoulder. Reaching for Liza's hand she linked their fingers together on Liza's stomach.

"What's Erin's story?" Grace asked.

"Erin?"

"Sloan." Grace laughed, "Her first name is Erin. Is Joe the only one whose first name you know?"

"No, but I just met her."

"Do you not get some kind of a file on the people in your squad? Anything that tells you about them?" Grace asked curiously.

"I learn what I need to know by spending time with them. Take Dalton for example. Steve is his first name by the way." Both women laughed.

"Yes and he works for the Lincoln Police Department." Grace said.

"Yes, but did you know that the man loves to cook?"

"Really? I know he loves to eat."

Liza laughed, "Yes he does. He also adores you."

After a moment of silence Grace said, "She reminds me of you when you were younger. A straight, younger you."

"Sloan? How so?"

"She's independent, stubborn. A little rough around the edges." Grace answered.

"But I have you to smooth out my edges."