Chapter 5

Lithuania's accent is so hard to write... So in writing it just looks German. Argh... But you guys get the gist, right?

--------------------------------------------

The leaves of the tropical plants rustled when Alfred pushed them away from his face the next morning. He hadn't meant to oversleep, but the others had simply let him sleep for some reason. The sun was well in the sky and shining brightly as he stepped out onto the sand.

"Uh, hey, guys," he greeted unsurely. All five-- no, wait, four. Poland wasn't there, which was odd because he never seemed to leave Lithuania's side for any reason. "What's goin' on?"

"Hallo," Ludwig answered. "Ve vere talking."

"What about?" Al inquired.

"... About if we all think we should leave or not," Arthur replied after a moment. It was like he hadn't wanted Alfred to find out just yet as a matter of pride. "You... were right about what you said yesterday, I admit to that. This place isn't as safe as we would have liked to think."

"So, we're going to try and save more people?" Al asked excitedly, his mouth stretching with a wide grin.

"Not recklessly," Toris said. "Ve need somevhere to take zhe people ve save, first..."

"Right, right." Alfred sat himself down next to Toris and crossed his legs. "Okay, where are we thinking right now?"

"We're-a not sure," Lovino huffed.

"Nozhing has been decided yet because ve really don't know what places are even remotely safe," Ludwig explained. "You vouldn't know of any places, vould you?"

Al shook his head. "Nah, bro. Been cooped up here for almost a year now. I don't know much of anything about the outside world right now."

"So... ve should v-vait a little longer?" Toris asked, unable to put down his stammer for a moment.

They had consciously chosen to avoid the beach with the cliff border, where their memories were. The bodies of the fallen Zodiac had been taken care of the day before, but that was hardly a good reason to relive the nightmare in its natural setting.

"I suppose we have to," Arthur sighed, leaning back with his palms against the sand behind him. "There's no wisdom in rushing around blindly."

"Ve could take turns manning zhe radios and see if ve can pick up on any signals from ozher safe places," Ludwig suggested. "Zhat vay ve might learn of a place ve can go to, und ve can try to take people vith us along zhe vay."

"I like it, dudes," Alfred said brightly. "I guess I can hang here for a little while longer."

~

Romano groaned as he sat down in the chair for his first two-hour shift of the day. It was his job to systematically scan different frequencies and stations in case anyone was broadcasting. First he would check AM frequencies, and then FM.

"Probably going to get-a nothing," he grumbled as he twisted the dials and listened. Just static, as usual. What would make today any different from the past few?

With nothing to focus on, his mind began to wander. Was there a way to bring back people who had been infected? The hopeless notion prompted a scoff from Romano's throat. 'That's-a not going to happen.'

Kzzzzzzzzzt Kzzzzzzzzzzzt-- Click

Romano turned the dial and listened on another station.

~

 "What? You actually heard something?"

Romano rolled his eyes. "It-a was garbled, but sì, I-a heard something."