Chapter 25

"You're Mary?"

"Yes. What's going on?"

"We'd like you to come with us, please."

"Come with you? Where are we going?"

"We'll explain on the way."

But they didn't. 

~

That evening, she returned to her apartment exhausted and just plain weak. She collapsed into bed and bunched her fists up in the covers, wringing the life out of the fibers. Tears were escaping her eyes even as she mentally berated herself for showing this weakness when people were watching her even at this very moment.

'I didn't tamper with those cameras... I didn't! Those jerks faked it all... This place is so wrong. We need to leave.'

A soft knock sounded from her bedroom door, and she looked up as it was opened just slightly. She caught a glimpse of unkempt blond hair and knew exactly who it was. 

"Mary? What's the matter?" Arthur asked, peeking into the room. "We didn't see you at all today. Did something happen?"

She shook her head and looked away to try and hide the tear trickling out of her eye. "I'm fine."

"Where were you, though?"

"It would be... unwise to tell anyone about this, Mary." Those words rolled around in her head as she tried to think of what to say. 

"It was just my job taking up a lot of time," she lied. "Sorry, Arthur. I'm just really tired right now."

There were eyes and ears everywhere. She couldn't say anything out of line, or else. 

"Alright. You can come talk to me if something is bothering you, though," Arthur reminded her before wishing her a good night and leaving.

~

"If we could demote you to something lower than the waste removal, we would. However, I think you can learn your lesson another way."

"But I didn't mess with those cameras! They shouldn't even be there in the first place, to be honest. What's the point of having those if we're all living here peacefully?"

"I wouldn't expect you to understand this, Mary. It's a very complex system I'm running here. Still, the man with the longest sword is the ruler, and to make sure there are no other swords in his kingdom, he has to have an omniscient eye."

"This isn't right. I didn't do anything!"

"Our camera feeds show otherwise."

"Let me see them, then. I'll prove I didn't do anything." 

"That's not possible. You will be obedient, like the rest of the citizens here. It would be... unwise to tell anyone about this, Mary. Speak a word about this meeting, and you'll find your friends locked outside of these walls."

"... Why? Why are you doing this?"

"You'd be surprised at what people are willing to give up for a little security. Now go. Remember everything I've said."

~

Though it was probably eight o' clock that night, Mary got out of her bed and just walked out of the apartment, heading to only God knew where. She just felt the urge to get up and walk away.

When she finally stopped walking, she found a horse to be blowing warm air from its nostrils and into her face. Mary's loose hair was ruffled by the spastic wind, and she took a step to the side to let the horse and its rider by.