TOP 15 Korean Compliments

1. You’re handsome.
잘생기셨네요.
(Jalsaenggisyeonneyo)

2. Great job!
잘했어!
(Jalhaesseo!)
This is a very general compliment. Basically if someone has done a great job or accomplished a goal. Use it when you want to praise someone for their work. Good for friends, coworkers, family and anyone.

3. Your inside is even more beautiful than your outside.
내면이 외면보다 더 아름답네요.
(Naemyeoni oemyeonboda deo areumdamneyo.)
Aw, now this is poetic. And this sounds like it’s been taken straight out of a romantic Korean drama. If you want to express this compliment – this is for you.

4. You make me want to be a better person.
내가 더 나은 사람이 되고 싶게 만들어요.
(Naega deo naeun sarami doego sipge mandeureoyo.)
Another awfully poetic and impressive compliment. And I hope my Korean lessons make you want to be a better person as well!

5. That jacket looks nice on you.
재킷이 잘 어울려요.
(Jaekisi jal eoullyeoyo.)
A must-know compliment. If you want to comment on something other than a “jacket,” simply replace it with another word like… “shirt” or “pants” or “gloves.” Why not!? Anyway, this is one you should use a lot – for guys or girls. Especially Korean girls.

6. You’re smart!
머리가 좋네요.
(Meoriga jonneyo.)
Great to use for little kids. Just as good to use for your friends. And in general, who doesn’t like to be told that they’re smart?
This is an all-around compliment you can use for anyone.

7. You are an awesome friend.
넌 멋진 친구야.
(Neon meotjin chinguya.)
This is just a good Korean compliment to use for your friends. Even they deserve a nice word or two once in a while, right?

8. You have a great sense of humor.
유머 감각이 좋네요.
(Yumeo gamgagi jonneyo.)
Great to use on anyone. We all like to think that we’re funny. Please tell me I’m funny.

9. Your smile is beautiful.
웃는 얼굴이 아름다워요.
(Unneun eolguri areumdawoyo.)
Great compliment to use. Why? Everyone comments on general looks. This is specific. It’s about something that’s unique to them… their smile! Use it and expect awesome results. I guarantee it.

10. I love your cooking.
네가 해 준 요리를 좋아해.
(Nega hae jun yorireul joahae.)
Ooh, very important compliment to use on the ladies. Why? They feel good about their cooking talent. They cook more. You eat more. It’s a win-win situation. Just don’t get fat like I did.

11. You have good taste.
안목이 있네요.
(Anmogi inneyo.)
This is a nice compliment you can use on most people – friends, family, coworkers and anyone on your level. Basically, it’s typically used to comment on their tastes in fashion, movies, books, etc. etc. Similar as how you would use it in English.

12. You look gorgeous.
아름다워요.
(Areumdawoyo.)
Again, this is one of those Korean compliments that you must know. If you want the girl to like you, tell her a damn compliment! Stop the small talk. Get to the point… “daaaang, girl, you lookin’ GOOD! Umph!” … except in Korean, ouf course.

13. You have a way with words.
말솜씨가 좋네요.
(Malsomssiga jonneyo.)
This compliment’s for anyone that’s a good talker… and probably, better used for guys when they’re saying all those nice things to girls. You might get this compliment by using all the other compliments I listed here.

14. I know that it was a tough project, but your performance exceeded my expectations.
힘든 프로젝트였는데 성과가 기대 이상이에요.
(Himdeun peurojekteuyeonneunde seonggwaga gidae isangieyo.)
Now, obviously this Korean compliment can really only be used for employees… or perhaps students. Well, if you’re a boss… (do many bosses read my site? get back to work!), here’s something for you!

15. Your resume is impressive.
이력서가 인상적이네요.
(Iryeokseoga insangjeogineyo.)

©