About SoKor

Let us know something about Korea !

1. Take off your shoes when you arrive – or not.

An increasing number of time-crunched locals are going the Western way and keeping their shoes on their feet. Since you probably won’t know which camp your host is in, follow their lead to be absolutely sure.

2. Don’t be too surprised to see Korean people using their middle finger to point, tap a touch screen, or otherwise refer to something.

There’s no insult intended with the gesture – it’s just the longest finger hitting the button first.

3. When eating The oldest will eat first. When the eldet will gtab his/her Spoon and eat then that is the signal that the younger Will also eat. This is a sign of respect.

4. The Seoul subway system is huge, the lines sometimes long, and the ajummas are pushy.

The trains don’t run 24 hours, however, so making a long trip or more than one transfer after 11pm begins to push it. Instead, keep your eyes for some of the buses that run well after the subways shut down. Several late-night buses leave from Yangjae station (line 3) while others leave from Sadang station (line 4). If you’re close to one of those stations, try one of the buses there before resorting to a taxi.

5. Ladies, the typical local has little problem showing off their legs – thus the abundance of short shorts and skirts.

Most of the locals would look (stare) at someone with uncovered shoulders, however. Don’t ask me what’s going through their minds – just avoid sleeveless shirts or spaghetti strap shirts. Also cleavage is getting to be more common but in general the rule is cover the top and show off the legs. (unless you want to be stared at then go with the opposite )

6. Men, if out on a date, be prepared to pay for most everything.

Equality in paying is becoming more common, but a woman might lose face if she’s the one handing over a card. This goes double if you’re the oldest one at the table. And split checks is usually frown upon especially by the restaurant so if you want to split up the check with friends then its best to do it on your own and not involve the restaurant.

7. Hongdae and Itaewon are the two most popular areas with foreigners that like to party.

If you like to be catered to and see English menus, you’ll feel right at home. If you came to experience the Korean version of nightlife, get thee to Kondae (Konkuk University, line 2) or Sinchon (also line 2). While some foreigners also visit these areas, you’ll notice fewer English menus (a great chance to practice your Korean!)

8. Speaking of Sinchon, there’s actually two of them.

One is Sinchon (pronounce it ‘Sin-CHOWN’) and is in northwest Seoul near Hongdae. The other is Sincheon (pronounce it ‘Sin-CHAWN’) and is in southeast Seoul near Jamsil. More than a few locals have to pronounce it carefully to make sure they meet their friends at the same one!

9. When you’re ready for a day trip out of Seoul, the country is your oyster.

Virtually all of mainland Korea is roundtrippable in one day, thanks to an excellent train and express bus system. While the Korea people often reserve their tickets ahead of time, the process is bit harder for foreigners to do. Your best bet is to head to a train station, where you can reserve tickets well ahead of time – in ENGLISH! – through an automated ticketing machine.

10. Speaking of trains, sometimes the train has sold out of seats and you’ll have to take a standing room ticket.

This does not mean you’ll be standing the whole time. It just means there’s no seat available for your entire trip. When you first get on, take a look around to see if there are any empty seats. Be prepared to give up your seats to the legitimate ticket holder as you approach a station, of course. On most Sunday night trains coming back to Seoul, it’ll be PACKED – something to experience once, but otherwise it’s worth avoiding.