"Hey Ally." A voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I turned around to see Tobin standing in the doorway of my balcony. A grin formed on my lips when he opened his arms for me and I quickly ran into them. I hadn't seen him since my birthday party, before Brute attacked. Not since he gave me the diamond bracelet he bought for me.

"Tobin... The bracelet..." I whispered, pulling away from him. I looked down at my wrist to see it was completely naked, no beautiful diamonds. So much happened at my birthday party that I had no clue where the bracelet went. It could've come off when I shifted into my wolf or it could have gotten lost when I was stuck with the rouges. It could be anywhere, lost in the chaos.

"It's okay, Ally, I'll get you another one." Tobin reassured me.

"No, you don't have to, I don't want you to. You don't need to spend your money on me." I said. That bracelet must have cost a lot and I foolishly lost it, I didn't want him to spend more money on me. I'm not important, he had better stuff to buy. It was my fault for losing the bracelet anyway, he shouldn't have to pay for something I did.

"I will, you deserve it." He muttered. That shut me up and my eyes snapped to his beautiful green ones. The butterflies that I usually got in these situation never came. It didn't even come when his head slowly came down to mine. I stood there frozen like a statue, not knowing what to do. This was the guy I had a crush on for the longest time. The guy that made me smile and created butterflies in my stomach. The guy that was not my mate, not my Brute.

His lips were soft and brought me warmth. He was gentle and slow, savoring the moment. But there were no fireworks, no sparks that I always hoped for. I felt absolutely nothing. But this was Tobin, my brother's best friend. The nicest guy in the world, not a vicious killer. This pack's future Beta, not the Alpha of Rogues. Someone my parents actually approve of, especially my brother. So I kissed him back.

********************************

Brute was already on the move again, clearly quickly getting over meeting me. He attacked the pack closest to us and they didn't get so lucky, of course. Many pack members were killed, including the Alpha Female. Their Alpha, Zane Young, was badly injured and broken from the attack and loss of his wife. Alpha Young and his pack had to retreat from their own territory and begged for them to stay in our territory. Since my pack wasn't mean, we gladly took them in until they could get back up on their feet again. Though it seemed that would be longer than we'd like based on the state Alpha Young was in. I had only seen him a couple times since his pack got here, but it depressed me each time I did. It was amazing he made it out alive because of how badly he was injured. It was not a pretty sight and there would definitely be scars from his wounds. Except that wasn't the most depressing part, what got me the most were his eyes. They were completely empty and dead, yet they were filled with so much pain. He lost the love of his life against the rogues. Losing your mate was almost like death to some wolves, especially to Alphas who had been with their mates a long time. Many of them would even do something insane like kill themselves, retire early as Alpha, or even just get up and leave the pack. That's why we put a couple of wolves to watch over him to make sure he wouldn't kill himself or do something stupid. So basically he was on suicide watch until we thought he wouldn't kill himself. His Beta was in charge at the moment for getting everything under control. If there was only a few of the pack members that survived then we'd probably take them in, but they still had about 30 people that survived so they could survive on their own, but they'd be a small pack. It was a shame that happened to them, but a lot of packs were going through this because of Brute. He was a monster no matter what feelings I have for him. That was one thing that would never change about him, thus me choosing Tobin over my mate. Tobin had yet to find his mate, though, so I wasn't sure how long our relationship would last. That's okay, I accepted that I'd most likely end up alone in the long run. I was surrounded by people who have a mate that would never be me due to the fact my mate was a killer. It was fine by me, I had been basically alone most of my life, minus my family and my brother's friends. I would always have my family anyway so I wouldn't be forever alone.

"Allison, I'm going to need you to share your room for a while with a girl your age from the Wind Side pack." My father told me at our family dinner. Because of Alpha Young's pack currently staying with us, all our rooms were completely full so some of them had to squeeze together in a room. I'm guessing we ran out of room with that plan too since my father was telling me this. I was actually shocked that he was choosing me since I'm the Alpha's daughter, but I guess it was because he trusts me. I don't blame him, the other girls in the pack could be vicious.

"That's fine." I put on a fake smile. My thoughts kept wondering back to Brute, though. Had he thought about me since he let me go? Well, I would think he wouldn't attack another pack so quickly if he did think about me. That broke my heart a little, knowing I never crossed his mind. I was just some pathetic girl that he would never see again or even want to think about. It didn't matter that I was his mate, he would never care about me. He could never give me love because he didn't have a heart to love with.

"If you're done with dinner, she should already be up in your room." My mother said, hinting that I should go meet my new roommate. I did as I was told and climbed the stairs up to my room after putting my dishes away. I paused at the door of my room, listening for signs of anyone in there. All I heard was the sound of breathing so I assumed my mother was correct and she was already in my room. I opened the door and sure enough there was a girl around my age laying on the floor. Thankfully she was on a blowup mattress with plenty of blankets and pillows so I didn't feel too guilty about her being stuck on the floor. She also seemed comfortable as she had her nose stuck in a book. She didn't even glance at me when I walked in so she must have been engrossed by the book. That was similar to me when it came to reading. The story becomes alive in your mind and all you want to do is live it. You become a part of the fantasy world to the point you forget about reality. With me, forgetting reality was the point of reading. You're happy far away from the pain and suffering from the life you currently live. It may be a complete lie, but it was better than reality.

"Um... Hi." I muttered. I didn't want to disturb her, but I needed to make my presence known. We would be rooming together for a while so we needed to at least meet each other.

"Oh, I didn't hear you come in. You must be Allison, I'm Chloe." The girl jumped up from her air mattress. She held onto her opened book with one hand as she shook my hand with her other. At closer look I could tell she was younger than me by a few years. She was probably 15 with her ginger hair that was pulled into a braid and her cute little freckles that surrounded her face. Because of her ginger hair, she had pale skin and beautiful green eyes. I could imagine how beautiful her wolf would be with red fur, but she would be a small wolf, probably the runt of the family. That's okay, though, I was definitely the runt of my family.

"It's nice to meet you, Chloe. I'm sorry for what happened to your pack." At the mention of the attack, her face completely fell and tears glistened her eyes. It was clear that she lost family or someone close when the attack happened judging by her pained expression. She probably lost her parents due to the fact she was currently rooming with me instead of with them. I made a mistake bringing the attack up and I wished I could take it back. I didn't like seeing people hurt, especially if it was foolishly my fault they were upset.

"Thank you." She whispered. She quietly laid back down on her air mattress and got under the covers. Putting the book aside, she curled up in a ball and closed her eyes. Guilt shot through my heart at the sight of her. I didn't know what to do, so instead of trying to comfort her I changed into pajamas and quickly got into bed after turning off the lights. I wasn't tired, though, so I just laid there until I heard the soft sound of her breathing, letting me know she was asleep. My heart truly did go out to this young girl. She lost her family due to my horrible mate. If only she knew that she was rooming with this monster's mate. There's no doubt she'd attack me and quickly get away from me if she didn't kill me first. She had her whole life taken away from her in one night. At least she could form a new one by meeting her mate whenever that time comes. She could be happy again and then form a new family of her own. She had that going for her, unless another monster decided to take that away from her too. She was young and beautiful, it's a shame she had to go through something tragic like this.

At this thought, I drifted to sleep feeling guiltier than ever. My mate was the reason this girl and many others were going through horrible pain. My mate was a killer and a complete monster, something I would never be able to accept. 

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!