Stuck In A Pickle

Start from the beginning

I look up at the sign, this row clearly says pickles.

The only problem is, there are no pickles!!!!

As I am going through the columns again, I start to hear a weird.. coughing noise.

A very.. awkward noice I may add.

I just ignore it and keep looking for the pickles.

Then, a weird clearing throat sound is heard.

You know those moments when you hear a sound obviously another person made but you don't want to turn around because you could accidentally make eye contact, then they will feel like you are judging them, and then you will feel bad for the next hour because you felt like you hurt their feelings.

"Oh for heavens sake, turn around." I hear a.. louder voice call out.

Recognizing that voice, I quickly spin on my heel to see Luke standing there with a goofy grin on his face.

As I really look at him, I realize that he must have come from boxing because one, he is in workout cloths, and two, axe isn't magic okay?!

Like seriously, boys and their 'I don't need to shower I use axe.'

But that only means one thing.

Boxing- practice

Practice-team

Team- friends

Friends- Him who shall not be named.

But Luke didn't look upset at all, he looked.. glad to see me?

While on the other hand, I feel like somebody decided to slap me right in the face.

With a frying pan.

To the face.

Does he know??!

He must.

He has too.

Right?

"Julie! Hey!" He exclaims.

"Oh.. uhm.. I.. hi."

Smooth.. real smooth.

He didn't seem to sense my awkwardness because he kept talking.

"Are you looking for the pickles?" He asks taking a glance from my moms list.

"Actually yeah I am. But I can't really find them." I say in an awkward laugh scratching the back of my neck.

"You're in luck!! There's one right h-."

"Finish that sentence Luke and you'll be having to find some pickles too." I say before he could finish his dirty joke.

"Okay okay!!" He says with a nervous laugh throwing his hands up in the air.

He then gives me a signal to follow him so I do to the next row where the pickles were.

"Wait.. why are they over here? Isn't the sign over there?" I ask but he only shrugs in response.

"I don't know, I think the employees are just too lazy to do anything about it."

I grab the jar of pickles and shove it in my cart.

Eight items down, sixteen more to go...

"By any chance, do you need any help?" Luke says laughing as he looks at me while I scan over my moms list.

"But I don't want you to feel like you have to-.."

"I'm taking that as a yes!" He says giving me a thumbs up.

He then starts skipping..

Literally

Skipping down the aisle.

Pretty much everyone who saw him gave him the weirdest look.

Like, if I saw a grown teenage boy skipping through the now candy aisle, I would be.. pretty concerned.

"Is he with you?" I hear someone ask behind me.

"Nope."

~~~~~~~~~

"Are we done yet?! My legs hurt." Luke complains yet another time.

"Luke, it's been like twenty minutes." I laugh as he mumbles some.. inaccurate words.

"Can we just take a little break."

"We only have two items left."

"But.."

"Hey you're the one who insisted on helping." I say grinning while he lets out a groan.

"See, this is why it sucks being a good person, it's too much effort." He says as we stand in the line to get ham and cheese, the last two items on the list.

"Well, it's all worth it in the end." I say as we move up.

"Eh. Oh I almost forgot." He says sitting up from leaning back against the wall.

"Almost forgot what?"

"I wanted to ask you if you will be at our tournament tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Ashton should have told you.."

I freeze. "Oh.. uhm well, there is this thing.."

"Please you have to be there!! We all want you to come!!"

"Last time I checked, not everyone." I mumble out.

"What did you say?" He questions. My eyes go wide as I realized what I said.

"Nothing!" I say quickly as it becomes our turn in line. I quickly order the ham and cheese and put it in the cart.

From there, we walk to a cashier and I pay for everything.

We start to head to the exit but he stops me.

"So is that a yes or...?"

"I'll... try." I say trying to reassure him. He hesitantly nods his head and he moves out of the way so I can push the cart to my moms car.

Thank goodness I finally got my license and I can be off my permit. I'm probably not going to drive to school though because one, I don't own a car, and two, it's just a waste of gas.

I mean, the bus is already coming to the stop anyways, why bother to have to pay for gas.

"So, I'll maybe see you tomorrow?" Luke questions helping me load the groceries into the car.

"Correct." I say as I put the last grocery in.

I close the back hatch while Luke returns the cart.

"Thanks for everything Luke. If it wasn't for you I probably would have been here for another hour or two." I say while he lets out a small laugh.

"Julie you're my friend, and plus I feel like I owe you for.. my behavior over the last week." He says in a lower voice.

"Luke trust me, it's fine, don't feel you need to owe me anything." I say giving him a reassuring smile, which he returns.

"Well, I better let you go before your cold food goes warm and bad." He says.

I nod my head and wave as I open the door to the drivers seat.

I pull out and start to make my way home with one thought lingering in my mind.

Why didn't Luke know about what happened?

Or worse..

When will he find out the truth?

Excuse the title, it was very tempting.

It left me in a pickle..

...

Agh.

Anyways hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!

Thoughts?

I love reading comments so.. comment!
~juls