Repercussions

I heard screams but I was too busy trying to maneuver away from this deadly being that was trying to kill me. Was this how I lost my life?

I tried to inch closer towards the shovel but every time I reached my arm out for it, I just barely came up short.

"Leave her! She's as good as dead!" Shane's voice rang out as the gun shots began.

"Sophia!" A woman screamed.

"Fuck you Shane! Let me go!" That was Merle's voice.

Why hasn't someone even gotten here to help me yet. I felt gnawing on my boot and my arms were shaking from holding this monster at bay. Where's Daryl?

I felt the monster close it's mouth around my shoulder, trying to find purchase with my skin. I screamed out as I felt the walker being ripped off of me. Gunshots blared all around as I kicked my face at the walker eating my boot. Shoving the walker off, I stood up and tried to back away as quickly as possible but I just ended up falling down again. Arms grabbed me and began pulling me backwards and I felt myself begin to panic again. Clawing at the hangs, I was unable to see how close this walker was at getting me.

"Knock it off queenie!" Merle yelled at me, thoroughly stopping my protests as he hauled me into his arms and away from that god evil barn. "Was ye bit?"

His hands ran over my arms, feeling for any injuries. His eyes followed his hands and finally when he pulled my hair from my shoulder, I tensed waiting for the gasp.

No sound was made thought and I peeked up at Merle, vary of his reaction. His hands hadn't stopped at my shoulder but they merely dropped away from my body. I looked at my shoulder and almost sighed in relief. The color of my flannel shirt had gotten in the way of the walkers teeth and there was any marks, only bruises. Teeth had been left behind on the collar and I tore my shirt off in disgust and horror. I looked down at my boot and saw that it was intact as we'll and I smiled to myself. I was safe.

"Daryl woulda skinned me 'live if somethin happened to ya." Merle said in relief that I was alright.

His name brought me out if my happiness at being alive and well. "Where's he at Merle?"

"He left fer a bit but ima guessin that those shots woulda brought 'im right back"

Beginning to look around, I surveyed the damage. Maggie stood away with Hershel, her mouth open in shock. Hershel's face was grim and angry. Shane, Rick, Andrea, and T-dog were in a circle around something on the ground. Carol was holding Sophia with Lori and Carl behind them. Where were the twins? And Glenn and Dale?

I made my way to the small group, avoiding the many walkers on the ground. As I pushed Shane aside, Merle went to grab me. Ashlyn was in Glenn's arms on the ground. Her eyes were closed and her face pale. A huge bite was also taken out of her shoulder-the same spot that the walker tried to bite me.

"Ash?" I sobbed out, my voice cracking as I dropped to my knees. Her eyes refused to open and I reached out for her. "Give her to me!"

Glenn passed her over slowly and I buried my face into her hair. I could still hear her shallow breaths but I knew she wouldn't make it out of this. She was bitten already once before and survived through some miracle; this time we wouldn't be so lucky.

"Oh darling. Please don't do this." I sobbed uncontrollably as I rocked back and forth. I felt her small body shudder and she gave her last breath. "Dammit why not me! God please take me instead!"

I heard running footsteps up behind me but I didn't look. Wailing cries began and I heard Merle consoling Brady. I couldn't bear to look at him, I wouldn't only see my failure.

i stood up with Ashlyn in my arms, refusing to meet anyone's eyes. Heading towards the woods, I tried to ignore the voices behind me.

"She caused this! Ashlyn and now Dale!" Shane's bitter voice rang out.

"Enough!" Rick yelled. "She wasn't expecting those things to be in there. Why the hell would you send her to that barn if you were housing those things!?"

"She went of her own will" Maggie sobbed out, holding a now crying Beth in her arms.

"Ya should 'ave stopped her!" Merle yelled, trying to not scare the small boy.

"All of you! Shut up! Sophia almost died, Jasmine was near close enough. We lost Dale and Ashlyn. Y'all need to show some respect!" Lori screamed, effectively shutting everyone up.