Chapter 1-Sagekit

Start from the beginning

Stonestar saw her coming and let out a grunt of annoyance. "Sandclaw, it"s THAT disgusting one again. How I wish her parents would just keep her away from us.Horrible parents, not treating their kits to respect the elders and cats' privacy!"

Sandclaw agreed. "I know, my love. I truly despise her and the rest of the terrible of this clan. Those who don't serve the clan equally as the hard working warriors. They are a lazy bunch. Those who are nice towards them are just as weak, letting friendliness towards them waste valuable time. Being nice is important, but there is a fine difference between doing it in your spare time and working time. They are not as good as us top ones, or as the unskilled. They waste time, but not enough to work hard nor not too little to be unkilled. Sagekit willl be an unskilled one"

Sagekit walked up to the two elders and started to converse with them. "Hello Stonestar, and Sandclaw. Such grumpy lovebirds! Any stories you have for me today?"

Sandclaw, already pestered, decided to try to get Sagekit to go away. "Stop bothering us! Hasn't your mother told you to respect your elders? You're bothering us! So that means you're disrespecting us!"

"It's not my fault you're old, grumpy elders!," Sagekit argued back, "You just sit and talk all day! Why not have someone else to talk to?"

Stonestar jumped in on the conversation. "It's about time your mother told you something! Half of us don't like you because you will be unskilled! Your deformity will cause you to work less, which is unfair to those who work hard for the clan. You are less worthy of the better life, so you don't deserve it. So how about you leave is alone and go work on your warrior skills"

Sagekit was confused. How did her deformity make her unworthy? She could walk as well as anyone else! Her mother had said others didn't like her for reasons other than her appearance. Had her mother lied? If so, why had she? Sagekit didn't know what to say to Stonestar.

Sandclaw also criticized Sagekit. "Don't try to do anything to change how the clan works! You could be killed for being a traitor then! Stonestar had to kill his own daughter for doing the same. You wouldn't want to be killed either! So leave us alone! Don't bother telling your mother. She'll just think you're a cloud-sized liar!"

Sagekit ran off, listening to the elders. She was afraid to tell her mother, for it seemed her mother had lied to her, Surely Rockheart would do as the elders had said. Were they really right about how she would be and who she was? She slowed to a stop as she reached the nursery. A sudden surge of determination and anger filled her. No! I will not let them deem who I will be! I will decide my own destiny! I will be just as good as the best warrior in the clan, if not better. I will train myself to be great. No one will stand in my path! I will not tell anything of this to my lying mother. She will only stand in the way! At least I still have a father to trust!

Badgerkit came out of the nursey and saw her. The two stopped in front of each other. "Hello there, Flowerface! I see you're back to see your back to whine to your mother of how hard it is to walk!"

Sagekit, swung out her twisted paw, hitting Badgerkit in the face with a furious force. Badgerkit skidded a few feet away, squealing loudly in pain. "Leave be alone, you fox-hearted meanie! Stop pestering me all the time! My paw is very useful, as you can clearly feel!" Rockheart and Honeypelt came out of the nursery to see what had happened. 

"Mom, Sagekit battered me in the face!" wailed a pained Badgerkit who was struggling to get up with a heaving breath.

Honeypelt became mad at Rockheart and Sagekit. "Don't you touch my Badgerkit, you mouse-dung! And Rockheart, keep your children under control or else they'll go around hitting the clan!"

"Badgerkit, go to the Healing Den to check for injuries," Rockheart ordered. Badgerkit limped away as Rockheart continued to speak."Sagekit, don't hit anyone! Control yourself! Go the Healing Den to help your aunt Birchleaf treat him and apologize!"

Sagekit rolled her eyes and ran off to the Healing Den as the two mothers began to bicker about mother raise their children. She heard Rockheart saying something about how kits should not be insulting each other. She quickly went out of earshot as she reached the nursery. What a boring job. It all just plants, mushed plants, juiced plants that they shove in and rub all over you! I would hate to be The Mender! Why did she have to apologize to Badgerkit? He deserved to be finally be hit for so mean to her!

Across the camp, Stonestar saw the fight between the kits as well and thought that it only showed that she was an unworthy cat for being so mean. He suddenly had the idea on how to ruin her life ensure her unworthiness, as she was already on her way there.

"Sandclaw, I have idea. How about we have Birchstar apprentice Sagekit to Goldenheart, the meanest mentor to the unworthy ones there is in the clan."

"Sounds like an interesting idea, my love. Let's go talk to Birchstar about it." Sandclaw was on board with Birchstar's idea. The two stalked off towards the Chief's Den, confident that they're plan would work.