Chapter 26

"Do you think she's ever going to wake up?"

"Oh, she will, dear. I promise you. It has only been a few hours. People usually sleep for much longer than a day when I use my potions on them. It'll be a miracle if she wakes up tomorrow."

The two people conversing next to me were loud. They weren't yelling, but they might as well have been. My eyes refused to open. I didn't know where they were. All I could feel were my pounding temples and my hands, pinned down by something solid and heavy. I tried to move them but they wouldn't budge.

A rhythmatic sequence of drums repeated throught my whole body. It was loud, suddenly louder than the people talking next to me, whoever they were. Unsure of where I was or why I was given a potion, I began to panic. Logic told me I wasn't safe, that I needed to leave, I was going to be hurt or killed...

The drums pounded louder, growing in speed. All I could feel was my body pulsing along with them, feeling like a speaker, unable to talk.

One of the voices spoke again. "Mom, I think she's waking up. Listen." It was quiet for a second, followed quickly by heavy footsteps.

"It's too early. There's no way her heart rate is up to normal."

"Mom, it's speeding up. What do I do?!"

"Wait a few minutes for her to find her own self."

"Mom, I-"

"Hush!"

The son let out a loud huff. "It's too fast," he muttered.

A loud smack souded through the room, followed by "OUCH!" The mother's voice said, "I know what I am doing. You asked if you could watch, then watch. If you can't keep your mouth shut, then you can leave."

I was unable to tell what was said next because it was said softly through breath, but from the apology that came straight after it, I could guess it wasn't too kind.

It became silent straight after and slow breathing replaced it. I agreed with the boy, however. He needed to help me. I couldn't find any part of my body.

"Mom-"

"Shut up."

Fast, slapping footsteps interrupted the minutes passing by in silence. "Mom," came a different, high, angelic voice. The little girl from the day before. "Someone's here."

Pause. "But the store is closed."

"I don't know, they said that we're usually open so they want some coffee..."

"Fine, I'm coming. Kayden, watch her."

"Roger that.... Okay, I-think-your-name-is-Julie, she's gone. I'm gonna wake you up."

Fingers pressed against my arm, sliding up to my throat and then my eyes, a painful burn following it. I knew where my eyes were now, so I opened them. "Ow," I groaned, the burn from his fingers still lingering.

The boy from yesterday, Kayden, stood above me, a sheepish look on his face. He hadn't changed clothes since yesterday, his pajamas even more rumpled. His black wavy hair covered his cheeks and I could barely see his eyes. "Sorry," he said, "You had to wake up somehow. I used witch fire to wake you up. Don't worry, it isn't going to hurt for long."

"You need a haircut," I said stupidly.

"Aha, I get that a lot," he responded grimly.

We stared at each other awkwardly for several seconds, both unsure of what to say. I tried to listen to what was going on in the front, but the only thing I heard was the coffee machine rolling. I assumed she opened up the store. "Is this fire thing gonna burn for much longer?" I asked.