Chapter 9

Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep.

Shut up. Just shut up.

I could hear the sound of two thousand 'beeps' and it bugged the crap out of me. Literally. Okay, not literally, but I could literally feel like my nerves were being grated on. I tried to open my eyes but they refused to open as if they were glued shut. Vaguely, I could hear people talk but I couldn't focus on the words being spoken because all my attention was toward the annoying sound of 'BEEP!'

Something touched my hand. I could feel my fingers twitching. I tried to focus all my attention on moving it.

Someone whispered from far away, "she's waking up!" then, as if the voices got closer, "Come on, Jules, you can do it. Wake up."

I tried opening my eyes but it was hard, oh so hard. It felt like my eyes weren't even there. I reached out to find where anything was, but all I could see was darkness.

And then everything started to dissapear. Everything. My mind was leaving my body, and I knew what was going on. I was dying.

I could hear a soft but clear, womanish voice tell me, "It's your time. Don't be afraid. I'm here to help you. A reaper, that's what they call me. But don't worry, I won't hurt you. You will be safe."

Then, as quicjly as it left, it changed again. It felt like someone was yanking me by the arm, and I jolted awake. My body jerked foreward and I fell off the bed I was lying in.

It hurt. The impact of the floor against the right side of my body was sharp. I groaned and rolled over, wincing. My left shoulder was burning.

"Are you okay?"

Sam was standing over my body, a shocked expression on his face. He himself looked clean. I could tell by the way his hair was still wet from a shower and the water was dripping onto his shoulders. Even though I was on the ground, I was able to smell the soapish scent coming from him.

I said, "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks." Then, as I tried to get up, I asked, "Where's Dean?"

Sam: "He went to the motel. He hasn't slept in a few days, so I forced him to go take a nap."

Oh. Wait...

"A few days?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah, you were out for a while-"

Sam was inturrupted by another voice, a much higher and anmoying voice.

"You need to get right back in that bed right this second, you could be hurt!"

A doctor was the one who spoke. Her high, nasally voice grated at my skin, even though she only spoke one sentence. Her dark red hair was curly and going in every direction. She was wearing the ugliest off-white hospital clothes, except it was modified so that her chest showed.

She reached down and pilulled me up, checking for injuries. I sat down on the bed after my head started to worsen.

"I'm sorry I was late," she said, "I was taking care of another little girl. Poor girl was having a panic attack. I'm Dr. Zimmerman." She bustled around the room, looking for something. As she bent down, I saw (on accident, of course) a tattoo above her heart. It looked sort of like a sun, with a pentagram in it. I knew I had seen that sign before, I just couldn't tell from where.

Dr. Zimmerman got back up, medical tools in her hands, and came over to check on any "issues," as she liked to put it. All the while, Sam left the room to call Dean.

I was perfectly find. The doctor told me I could leave at the end of the day if there were no more complications. She laid me back down so I could rest. Gladly, I complied, just realizing how exhausted my body was feeling. Even though I was tired, however, my mind wouldn't stop turning, so eventually I turned on the TV.

The channels were flooded with so many family movies and shows that I grew really agitated. Where's the good stuff? Like sci fi and fantasy? What about action? I grew so frusterated that I turned it off.

Where were Sam and Dean? It had been at least 30 minutes since Sam left to give a phone call, and I was incredibly bored.

After another whole hour of waiting, I decided to call the nurse. I told her that I was hungry and wanted food, even though I was more bored than hungry. She ordered me something to eat that I had never heard of, which tasted like ambrosia, and I couldn't get enough of it, so I ordered another one.

My eyes were growing heavy and I was almost asleep when I heard a knock on the door. Groggily, I said, "Come in," as I thought that it was Sam and Dean. My eyes were now fully closed.

The door opened and I heard footsteps coming to the side of my bed.

"Jules, I don't have much time."

My eyes shot open and they stared at the voice's owner.

Castiel.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. So he wasn't a dream.

Castiel sighed and looked down at me, his cerulean blue eyes locking themselves to mine. I couldn't look away.

He said, "You need to tell Sam and Dean. As soon as they get back, tell them, because they're planning on taking you back home. They'll still watch over you, but it won't be enough. If you tell them, you can stay with them, and then your family will be safe, and so will you."

I was honestly confused. "Why do I have to be safe? I mean, it's not like there's anything special about me. Well, the thing said I was supposed to be 'one' with it, whatever that means. But... Why do I have to be the one to stay with the boys?"

Through my little speech, Castiel's eyes turned down a little in sadness. "You are special," he said, "you just don't know it yet."

I laughed ironically. "I'm really not. I get B's and C's on the simplest tests. I argue with my parents because I'm stubborn and kind of a brat. There are days when I literally do nothing except lay on the couch and watch TV or read a book. And even on the days that I do things, it's not like I'm helping anyone. I just... I'm a normal, obnoxious teenager that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Not that I'm completely unimportant, there's just nothing special about me."

During the middle of my rant, a few tears were produced in my eyes. I couldn't keep them down, so they fell down my cheeks, burning my skin.

Castiel looked sad. As if he really cared. He put his hand on my forehead in a fatherly way, and said, "You don't know what you will do, but just know, that I will always be watching over you. You are worth whatever you think you're not. Now, I must go. Do not forget to tell them. It is of the utmost importance."

I said, "I won't," but he was already gone.