The Oriental Oreo

Here's a chapter in reference to the previous one where I mentioned Ocelot's race. It's kind of a rant about the rude comments I get from people in my personal life:

*Aggravated sigh*

Yeah, I like K-pop. Sadly. Tragically.

But, NO, I'm not obsessed. I'm a chill K-pop lover. Actually, I prefer K-Indie or K-R&B.

It's not that I like K-pop because of the attractive men or the aesthetic. I ACTUALLY like the music. Wowza. Also, it's not only K-pop. I do like music in various languages, such as: French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Vietnamese, and Japanese.

The reason I don't mind not being able to understand the words is because I listen more carefully to the beauty of the music itself and the voice of the singer. I also like being able to come up with my own meaning to a song, or guess what I think they are saying. But, I eventually look at the actually translation. Sometimes I like the shock of what is really being said. It can be a song that sounds chill and the artist can really be saying something full of anger and regret.

The one thing that annoys me is when someone finds out I like K-pop and suddenly I become a Koreaboo or Weeaboo. Apparently, if you like K-pop you are immediately obsessed and you can't like any other type of music. If you do like other music, no one listens to that about you. All they see you as is a "K-pop lover". (I actually try to hide this fact about me because people like to vex me to no end.)

So, yeah. I like K-pop, I like K-dramas, and I think Asian culture and food are interesting. But, I also think the same about other cultures. Different cultures are interesting to me period.

BUT I'M NOT OBSESSED WITH EVERYTHING ASIAN AND/OR ASIAN MEN.

I'm more mature and too old for that. Even when I was a younger and a more impressionable girl, I still never blew an obsession out of proportion.

Therefore, the one thing that annoys the fucking hell out of me is when people think I like Ocelot just because he's Asian.

Yeah, he's fucking Asian, but so what?

I like people because of their personality, then their appearance. But never, ever because of race. I think all types of people are beautiful and not that one has more superior looks over another.

Sure, some people are more attracted to people of a certain race or color. There's nothing really wrong with that because we all have our preferences. But, what is wrong is if you like someone JUST because of that fact.

I'm not a trash human like that, but I still get comments like "Of course, he's Asian." when I talk to friends about him and they know I like Korean music.

Just no. Just what the fuck. You should know me better than that.

This isn't at anyone directly, this is just at everyone who has the audacity to act like they know why I'm attracted to a person.

Though, I can take jokes about it from people that understand my view on Korean music and culture. (No, I'm not a member of society that can't take a stupid joke. But no, I won't accept jokes that are rude statements with a "just kidding" added to it and it's obvious that the person saying it really does mean it some type of way.)

My sister and Wife are ones for instance. My Wife is obviously close to me (duh, "My Wife") and I know she means no harm and she's not being shady--though she does give me real talk--when she calls Ocelot "The Asian". As for my sister, we don't get along often, but I will take it as far to say that she and I did bond over our similar taste in Korean music. She is the one that brought it to my attention. She's dubbed Ocelot as "The Oriental Oreo" (because his name starts with an 'O', he's Asian, and I really like Oreo cookies).

I really try not to talk about K-pop around Ocelot. I don't want him to think I started talking to him and liking him (I don't know if he knows I like him) because "I'M OBsessED wItH KPoP ANd LUV AsIaNS. HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE.". That would make me feel like an awful person and I don't want to give off that impression.

But it doesn't help when you have people around you that like to call you out and expose that you have a small taste for K-pop.