Chapter 17: What did you do?

Chapter 17

What have I done? (Part 1)

Everything looked so beautiful to Psyche. The way the wind blew and the trees danced along; the way that the sun kissed her skin, warming her. This day felt special, she didn’t know if she would see him, but she knew she’d see him soon.

Psyche ached for her husband, she missed his voice and longed for his touch. But thanks to Venus she would be with him again. As Psyche walked, a messenger came to her, holding out a letter. So Psyche tore it open, hoping it was from Eros.

Instead she found a letter from Orual, Psyche took a seat and started reading the letter, it was long and detailed. Orual had explained what really happened, to silence all the cruel rumours that started out her. In the one part, Psyche bite her tongue.

Orual had started thinking about taking her life. No longer did her life hold anything to keep her here. Her husband never gave her any attention, causing her to become clingy. Clingy? No, her sister was an independent, strong woman. What had this man done to her sister?

When did her sister start feeling like this. Psyche would never leave her, Orual was never alone as long as she lived. Suddenly, she realized how different her sister acted, spoke and even looked. She was depressed, and no one noticed. Stupid, how could you not notice? Were you so caught up with your own selfish problems? Then the night before played over in her head.

Orual had apologized, profusely and continuously, until Psyche assured her, that she forgave her. Then she held onto Psyche as if it was goodbye, and the way she looked when she said she loved Psyche, the way she said it.

She spoke of how miserable life now was, that no longer did any amount of happiness lighten it up. Also, she spoke of taking the letter to Greece and questioning the gods, so she could be remembered for who she truly was, not for who she was perceived to be.

She spoke about how happy she was for Psyche and Eros. And how she longed to hold her niece in her arms. “To be an aunt, is the greatest thing I will achieve. Tell her of me, please. The me, I truly am. Underneath all the gossip and jealousy.”

Tears escaped out of Psyche’s eyes at her sister’s beautiful words. She continued reading. “Long did I hate you. Long did I fear you. I might –“ and suddenly the letter ended. Below the paragraph, in another’s hand writing, was a note. In the note, Arnom, who Psyche knew was the priest of Aphrodite, described that Orual had been found dead at her writing table, presumable mid-sentence as evidenced by way the words written after "might" looked on the page on which her head fell as she expired.

Orual was dead. Although she was only her half sister, she and Psyche had always loved each other best. Through all the fights and jealousy, they found each other. Psyche let the sobs come freely as she let the last bit of grief flow over her. Making her feel weak.

After Psyche cried for a long while, she realized that Aphrodite had something to do with this, as she had with her other sister. Aphrodite had killed her two sisters! And she wouldn’t stand back and watch her hurt anyone else. Juno had told her that all her problems with Eros was because of Aphrodite. Well she’d keep her from hurting him again. From now on, she’d only believe things from him. Hopefully Aphrodite will be more supportive when the baby comes, but she probably didn’t even care.