Chapter 4: Seasons of change

Chapter 4

In the months that followed, the world started to become old. For no one, man or animal, fell in love, married or mated. No one sang her praises, and Aphrodite could feel the temple of Venus starting to fall. For with everyday that there was no desire and no love, the world became older.

People were starting to talk about what could possibly have upset the gods that no marriages had taken place and no one conceived. Aphrodite tried to reason with Eros, but he stood firm. Unfortunely neither of them caved.

The person that suffered the most was Eros, for as long as the curse was on Psyche, he no longer desired her in the way he had the first night he met her. One thing Eros was to a fault was loyal, loyal and passionate. So in his heart, he held onto what he felt when he first met Psyche. He knew he had to break the curse, for he longed for her to be his wife.

One day Eros could keep his longing to meet with Psyche no more, it had been months since we was in her presence. So he went down to earth, concealed as a mortal.

In the market place, he saw her buying food. The people were kind to her, but it was as if they no longer could see who she really was, for no one desired her. As if the curse cloaked her, as he too was cloaked. For a long time, he’d follow her from stall to stall. But today was a busy day and he could not hear her voice over the loud crowd. Especially in the overcast weather, everyone was in a hurry for fear it would rain.

He tried to get closer, that’s all he wanted, to hear her voice. He’d pay dearly to hear her voice, but would it also be cloaked by the curse? Suddenly Psyche stopped and turned around to face him. She smiled warmly at him, but to him, it was as if the sun had broken through the clouds. “See something you like?”  

Eros smiled back at her. Her voice, was even more than he had dreamt of. It wasn’t too highly pitched, and it suited her perfectly. Thinking to himself, she must have a beautiful singing voice. “I’ve got my eye on something.”

Eros made his way over to Psyche, he needed to be closer to her. He truly did love her deeply, he knew this is what those old couples felt like, that love. Sitting together in absolute silence just to be around each other, because they’d had their share of desiring each other, and now just needed each other, even if there was no physical touch or reward for the effort.

“I’m Psyche.” In front of Eros, Psyche extends her hand to him. He smiles at the gesture. Did mortals still shake hands unless it was concluding business or at church? Psyche looked at him, waiting for his reply. What would he call himself? He quickly scans the area, but the only name that he sees is that on a keychain. “James. Psyche? That’s quite a beautiful name.”

“Thank you, it isn’t popular in the least. Till this very day, I’ve never met another Psyche. And it’s the worst name to have when picking a nickname. And James, hmm. That’s not a Greek name.” She’s smart too, oh she was art right now, cloak and all. For even concealed, she still had some form of beauty attached to her, that made him feel things he’d never felt. What would it be like to be with her if the curse was not cast? At that moment, for the first time in all of Eros’ years, he knew he could happily live forever, but only if she were his.

“No, but I am from around here and you?” Psyche smiled at him again. “I live with my Uncle and Aunt, they’re my legal guardians. Well, technically I’m old enough to live by myself, but I guess since my parents died, I just realised how much I want companionship.”

That’s right, they died a few years back in a car accident. He’d caused them to fall in love all those years ago, never would he have guessed the product of their love would become the object of his affection. “That’s hard losing your parents, I can’t even begin to imagine it. I’m sorry, at least I’ll attempt to empathize with you.”

“No one’s ever said it like that.” Oh no, he’d made it worse. “I like your way best.” She gives me a genuine smile, and it’s marvellous. I’d do anything, move mountains to be the reason for that smile again, and often.

“Do you have a lover?” It was impossible, but he wanted to know. “No, lately guys have been scares. Or rather, the keepers are rare.” He let out a breath he didn’t realise he was holding. “So no betroths or fiancé’s?” Psyche let out a laugh. “No, and it’s doesn’t look like I’ll have one anytime soon.”

“Do you like Greece? Or would you want to live somewhere else?” She stopped, considering what to answer. “I do. I guess I don’t know where I’d want to live because I’ve never been anywhere else. You can’t miss something you’ve never had, can you?”

If only she knew, he had never had her, but even now when there was no desire for her, he’d desire nothing for the rest of his life as much as he desired to take her home. “Do you like Greek Mythology?”

“I live in Greece, hence yes. I’m just not as superstitious as everyone else is.”

“Who is your favourite?” He gave her the best smile he could, hoping he didn’t look ridiculous. “Hercules, Venus and strangly enough Cupid.” Cupid? That was the first he’d heard of someone considering him a god, let alone their favourite. “Really? I guess women do like babies.”

“No, I think there’s a lot about him we don’t know. I mean he’s the son of Venus. The god of love, lust and desire. Can you imagine how breathtaking he must be? Besides, anyone who is the symbol of love is ok in my books.” Eros couldn’t help the grin on his face. “Yes, I do think you’re right. He must be glorious.”

“I haven’t met someone who talks like you.” The language changes so much, it’s hard to keep up. “How do I talk?” Trying to look as disinterested in the subject as possible. “So old fashioned. Like you’ve been around a long time.” If only you knew. “They use to talk a lot stranger.” Psyche starts imitating a prim and proper Brit, complete with the accent. “I twat thwere was a t’other Knight lain slain. I love English and everything that goes with it.”

“O sun come up and kill the envious moon. For it can hold no glory to your beauty or my need for you.” She pretends to swoon. “Shakespeare. Poetry is one way to a woman’s heart, he must have been a regular Casanova.”

“He was a piece of work. But he was unique in his own way.” Wait, he shouldn’t talk like that, she doesn’t need to know he personally made Shakespeare fall in love. “You sound like you actually knew him.” Play it cool. “Not personally.” At that Psyche lets out a laugh, from deep down in her belly. What a beautiful sound, just as a baby’s first laugh.

“Well I have to get going. It was nice meeting you James.” Right, he’d forgotten is fake name. But he wished more than anything that the name coming from her lips were his real one. He’d have to make her say it sometime. “Yes, I hope to see you again soon.”

And just like that she left, as he watched her till she disappeared from view.

“Mother!” Eros proclaimed as he entered through the doors that lead to his mother’s garden. “We need to talk. The people are becoming agitated, questioning you. I don’t wish to affect you, by having the people turn their backs to you. So, I have a few demands, in return I shall begin work immediately, shoot my golden arrows as fast as I can, restoring everything back to the way it should be, bring you great praise again. In return, you will take the curse off of Psyche and never again curse her. Also, she is mine and only mine, I alone desire her, you shall under no circumstances interfere with our relationship. So, do we have a deal?”

“Done.” Eros walks to his mother and embraces her but she walks away from him. So he picks up his weapons and leaves at once. Aphrodite watches as people fall in love and marry, animals far and wide mate, and the earth begins to look young again. “Enjoy it while you can, son.”