Chapter 8: The Bridegroom

Chapter 8

Listen to the song Hope You Found It by Jason Walker for this chapter.

As the sunrays of the rising sun, entered into Psyche’s room, the warmth on her cheeks stirred her. She sat up straight and watched in awe. Today! Psyche reached for her night stand, but there was no letter. Maybe it was too early?

Just then Psyche heard the glass shattering outside her room. She jumped up to see what the commotion was about, only to find the servants had dropped some dishes. The palace had been transformed over night. It seemed impossible, but it was even more beautiful.

Gold organza strips where draped around the pillars, vases and ornaments. White organza was hanging from the ceiling, but it looked like it was floating. It was breathtaking! There were flowers everywhere.

A few days ago, Delia, the organizer, had asked her many questions about what she wanted. The colours she wanted was gold and red. The rest she asked for input from her husband, for she didn’t know what was proper or improper here.

A seamstress came and designed a beautiful gown, but Psyche had yet to see it. When the servants saw her, they rushed to her immediately and lead her to her bathroom. There she was bathed, oiled and massaged. On a tray was various snacks and eats that she liked best. She was then lead to a room where her make-up and hair was done.

The time was flying, but not fast enough for Psyche. She asked if another letter had come, but still there was nothing. She was finally lead to her bedroom, where she saw the dress hanging. Never had she seen a more beautiful dress, and she gasped. Nearing the dress, she gently touched it, making sure if it was really real. It wasn’t a Greek goddess style, it was a sweetheart style, with layers and layers of lace. And it was snow white

The servants dressed her. She was about to look in the mirror when a box arrived for her. This box looked like a Tiffany’s box, but instead of cardboard, it was made of platinum. She opened it, to find a beautiful charm bracelet inside. The servants put it on for her. Inside was a little note.

“To my bride, on our wedding day. Since it is one of your customs, for the Bridegroom to present a gift for his Bride. My Bride, words cannot express how beautiful those two words are to me. I will see you soon. I can hardly wait, I am bursting with excitement and joy. Passionately and eager, I await you. Love always, your Bridegroom.”

That was worth the wait. The servants dropped the sheet they had placed over the mirror, for her to see herself. Psyche could hardly believe it was her. She was beautiful, and glowing. Also different, but in a good way. Not only had she found a new life, she was a new, better version of herself too. Psyche smiled at her reflection, reaching out to hold one of the servants hands. They realised and gave their hand to her, when she felt a hand in hers, she pulled the servant close and hugged her. This wasn’t according to custom and gasps could be heard, but the servant smiled and hugged her back. “Thank you.”

A trumpet could be heard. “He is here.” Goosebumps spread over Psyche, he’s here and he is mine. The sun had begin to set and Psyche wondered if he’d cry. She wouldn’t see it, but she’d always wanted someone who loved her so much that he cried at their wedding. “What is wrong my lady?” The servant dabbed away her tears. “I always dreamt about how my husband would look at me when I walked down the aisle, but now I won’t see it.” The servant took her hand as to comfort her. “Then let me be your eyes for you.” Psyche smiles and squeezed the hand. “Thank you.”

Music began to play. It’s time. Psyche took a deep breath, and hooked onto the arm of the servant. The doors opened and she was lead to a curtain. On the other side he was waiting. Psyche smiled towards where the servant would be, for she had put a flower in the girl’s hair to easily spot her. The song  I Do by Jessie James Decker starts playing. “Let’s go.” The curtains parted.

 At the end of the aisle, was a hat floating in the air, that looks like a priests’ behind a pulpit. And then she saw a flower wreath. That’s him. She could tell by the movements that he just turned around to see her. She smiled. “He’s looking at you, and it’s making me want to cry. I’ve never so much awe and love in a look.” I wish I could see. “You have almost the same look.” This was just too over whelming and Psyche’s eyes started tearing up. “And now he’s crying, but he has a big smile plastered on his face, like he is the luckiest man alive.” He’s crying, nothing could be more perfect than this moment.

They reach the end of the aisle, the servant let’s her go and Eros intertwines his hand with hers. Psyche can hear him sniffing. His touch does strange things to her, electricity running from the top of her head to the tips of her toes. She feels him come closer and whisper in her ear. “You look breathtaking, my love.” A shiver goes through Psyche, she can hear him smiling. “Thank you, that wreath is very manly.” He lets out a laugh and Psyche relaxes. The ceremony continues, but she can’t follow. All that matters is the one holding her hands, rubbing her hand with his thumb, reassuring her. Everything about him intoxicates her, and she doesn’t even know what he looks like yet. She’d see him one day right? Yes, soon.

 The priest tells us to face each other, and I feel him take my other hand into his. “I do, I take this woman, to have and to hold, to protect and honour, to love and cherish, on good days and bad ones. For the rest of my days.” He puts a ring on my finger, but Psyche doesn’t look at it. All that matters is that it fits perfectly. “I do, I take this man, to have and to hold, to honour and love, cherish and up hold, on everyday good or bad, for the rest of my life.” She puts the ring on his finger. It was her father’s wedding ring, that she wore on a necklace. It was the only gift she could give him, other than herself, she hoped he liked it. “I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may now kiss the bride.” This is it. He places his hands on the sides of her face, her eyes closing at his touch, he then brings his lips to meet hers and kisses her gently. This is perfect. Psyche can feel him smiling as he kisses her and she smiles in response.  When they break apart, Psyche reaches her hands up to his face to cup his face, she feels him guide her hands to the right place. As her fingers trace his face, she feels the wetness of his tears, still evident on his face and at that fresh new tears weld up in her eyes. He wipes away the tear that escapes out her eye, with his thumb. He places his forehead against hers. “I love you, very hour of everyday since I’ve seen you.” Psyche lets out a sigh of relief. “I love you, not because I have to, but because I see no reason but to love you.”

When Psyche looks around the room, it seems as if no one is around anymore. “Are we alone?” As if still lost in this moment he doesn’t answer with words, but rather nodding. “So, can I have a dance with my wife?” Psyche smiles. “I’d love that.” He takes her hand and leads her to the balcony. The sun has long since set and they are under a starry sky. All the stars are different from earth. “Your world has a much more beautiful sky.”

“Only now that you are here.” Psyche feels him pull her closer to him as they begin to move together. She can feel his heartbeat, beating so fast in his chest. Matching mine, beat for beat. He lowers his lips to her shoulder and kisses her. That simple gesture, made her feel so beautiful and treasured. “Why don’t we go somewhere more private?” Psyche couldn’t believe where her boldness had come from, it was an effect he had on her. But she still blushed. “Don’t hide from me, nothing, if you aren’t truly ready, I won’t mind. We have forever together, there’s no rush.” Psyche smiled at him. “These last 5 days have felt like forever to me.” She reached up and kisses him. “Please.” At that Psyche was swept off her feet as he carried her off. “No need to beg my dear.”