Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

In class the next day, Hermione noticed that neither Ron nor Draco were in class. She would nervously tap her pencil on the desk and tap her foot vigorously on the ground. It got to the point where the girl sitting next to her in Potions didn’t want to be near Hermione, so she moved seats.

            Harry kept glancing over at her from across the table, carefully cutting things up and mixing them together in his cauldron. Every time he would do so she would roll her eyes the slightest bit and get a bit irritated with him.

            “What?” she finally exclaimed. Students turned around to look at her. Hermione glanced over her shoulder and gave all of them the once over, and then they all returned back to their cauldrons. She looked back at Harry. “What is it? You keep looking at me like I did something unforgivable.”

            Harry shook his head.

            “What then?” Hermione tried. Harry set his knife down and checked to make sure no one else was listening in to their conversation, even though the rumor might be spreading around the school as they spoke.

            “What’s going on with you and Malfoy?” he whispered. Hermione was shocked. How much did he know?

            “What? What are you talking about? That’s absurd!” She tried to play it off like her and Malfoy had never even spoken since the war.

            “Quit denying it, Hermione. I know what’s going on between you two. I know what Malfoy is and Ron is on the brink of getting expelled because of what he tried to do for you!” Harry was starting to get seemingly annoyed.

            “What did Ron do now? I told him it was none of his business. What could he have possibly done that-”

            “Hermione, he used the Cruciatus curse on Malfoy. He’s in the hospital wing right now but-” Out of the corner of his eye Harry saw Neville tense up. He decided it better to stop talking about the subject. Harry looked up at Hermione who was already grabbing her things and heading over to talk to the professor. She ran out of the door, papers falling out of her bag and her bushy hair bouncing up and down on her shoulders.

Malfoy was laying down, staring at the stone ceiling as Madam Pomfrey dabbed a wet cloth over his forehead.

            “I’m going to die. I’m going to die….” He shook his head back and forth, trying to get her to stop treating him. “Stop! What you’re doing isn’t going to work!” His face started to change. Draco’s face became more pointed like a bird’s as his mouth formed into a beak, and his light hair became feathery. Madam Pomfrey jumped back.

            “Headmistress!” she called out, running away from her patient. Draco sat up and felt his beak, rubbing his hands all over his head to feel the transformation. He squawked and Madam Pomfrey came running back with the Headmistress.

            McGonagall stayed back as well, slowly approaching Draco.

            “Malfoy….” She reached her hand out to touch him and he snapped his beak at her. “Madam Pomfrey, send an owl to Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy immediately. Excuse Draco from all of his classes for the remainder of the week. We need to have a little chat about how we are going to go about his….condition.”

Hermione was running towards the hospital wing when she heard a loud snap from behind her. Turning around she saw a tall, curvy figure holding out their wand and walking towards her.

            “You stay away from my boy Granger!” the seemingly female voice bellowed, stopping a few yards away from her. Hermione could make out who it was now. She began running. “Come back here you filthy little Mudblood!”

            Then Hermione stopped in her tracks. Quickly she pulled her wand out and whipped it in Narcissa’s direction, sending yellow and red sparks out of the tip. Narcissa flew back and fell down, and Hermione ran. She ran all the way to the hospital wing, where there was a surprise waiting for her there.