Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

After Draco had let Ron go, he ran off scared out of his wits back to Hogsmeade. Hermione was worried that he would tell Harry and Seamus and they would tell everyone else, but Draco was the least worried about that.

            “I’m not worried about that, Hermione,” he said. “I’m worried about you.” Hermione looked up at him and then she gave him a hug.

            “Thank you,” she whispered. Then Draco started to stroke her hair as she buried her face into his chest. Next he pulled away and put his arm around her shoulder and started to lead her back to Hogsmeade. Before they had even taken two steps Hermione stopped.

            “Didn’t you need to talk to me?” she asked. Draco shook his head.

            “No, nevermind. It wasn’t that important anyways.” Then they started walking again, but this time at a farther distance from each other. Even though they didn’t care about people knowing that they were sort of together, they still cared about the reputation that they both had to upkeep, and the fact that Draco’s mother Narcissa was meddling in their relationship.

Back at Hogwarts while everyone was in their common rooms, the Great Hall, or the library, Hermione and Draco walked the empty corridors together, just talking.

            “Your mother….,” Hermione drifted, “why is she here?”

            “No idea,” Draco said quickly, even though he knew well why she was here. To kill Hermione if she did not want to be with Draco.

            Silence followed Draco’s quick response and Hermione started to get a bit annoyed.

            “Why aren’t you talking to me?” she snapped. Draco’s head whipped in her direction.

            “What is there to say?” he countered. “We finally start to get along again and you go and mess it all up by getting angry!”

            “I’m not angry, Draco. I’m paranoid. Something is going on and I’m going to find out.” Then she stormed off, leaving Draco in the corridor.

“He’s up to something—no—they’re up to something. Come on Hermione, think! She’s up to something. Oh, I don’t know!” Hermione was racking her mind in the common room, thinking of what Draco and his mother could possibly be up to. It was killing her not being able to know. The fact that Draco’s mother was still even at Hogwarts was baffling Hermione, because his parents thought it was a filthy school anyways that would let any types of scum in. Like Mudbloods and Half-Breeds.

            Footsteps stopped her train of thought with all the possibilities as to why Narcissa was still at Hogwarts and what Draco and she were up to. Hermione turned around and saw Ron stopped at the entrance of the boy’s dormitories. He looked at her, almost looking a bit sad and worried mixed with some confusion.

            “What do you want Ron?” Hermione asked. Ron left the last step of the stairs and went over and sat in a big chair in front of the fireplace. He stared at the fire for a while and then looked at Hermione.

            “Why were you with Malfoy?” he spat. “He’s no good. He’s evil and bloody hell if I’m going to let you hang around him!” Now Ron was standing up, towering over Hermione; and even with the volume of her hair she felt small compared to him.

            “It’s none of your business, Ronald,” she said. “What I do is my business and you’re not going to tell me what I can or can’t do.” Then she turned away from him and started straightening some papers that were sitting on the table in front of her.

            “Well, will you at least tell me what’s going on? So if anything ever happens to you we know what to tell McGonagall?” Hermione stopped and glared at Ron.

            “We? Who is we? And what do you mean, ‘tell McGonagall’?” She was screaming now. “What, do you have the sense that Draco might try and hurt me?” Hermione was right in front of Weasley now and she had her hand in her pocket, gripping her wand. Ron was speechless.

            “Now you listen here, Weasley,” she scoffed, “If you ever--” Then a noise came from outside the common room door. Lights streamed over the shadows, busting through the cracks in the door.

            “Hermione!” someone shouted from the outside. The frame started to bow and the light just kept getting brighter and brighter. “Hermione!”

            The frame flew off its hinges, flying past Hermione and knocking over Ron. Hermione was shocked, and when she looked to see who had broken into the common room, she was surprised at what she saw.

            Blond hair that was shorter and lighter, eyes that seemed brighter, and…..a beak.

            “Draco?”