Chapter Three

Chapter 3

He went back in for another kiss, grabbing her robes and pulling her closer to him.

            "Hermione, what else do you want to know about me?" he asked before he wanted to kiss her again. She hung her arms around his neck loosely and sighed. Her attraction for Draco was budding and she wanted to know why, but without making him angry.

            "I don't know. I want to know why you suddenly wanted to be with me. I mean, you've had all this time, but why now?" Draco’s eyes widened the slightest bit and he became a bit defensive, but oppressed it. He wasn’t about to ruin his progress by snapping at her.

            "I just didn't know how to put it,” he finally said. “Hermione, you're smart. You know what a Veela is, don't you?" It was now make it or break it and he hoped that she would accept, because if she didn't, he would die. He knew that she would be partially angry with him. Or, maybe not. His excuse could be that he didn't know until last year.

            Draco waited for an answer. Hermione was silent for a moment, her confused expression slowly turning into understanding.

            "Yeah…" It suddenly made sense as to why she was feeling these rush of emotions towards him in just one day of him being close to her. He was accepting his bloodline and she was caving into it as well. She thought back to the days events, and how she got nervous everytime he got near her.

            "You're a Veela?" she asked in a small voice. He nodded.

            "Yes, I am. You know what happens when a Veela turns seventeen, and then what happens when they turn eighteen. I know you know. Please don't be angry with me." Draco was anxious, waiting for her reply as to whether she would accept him. It was selfish of him, waiting until the last minute. She gulped nervously and moved back, pulling her arms from around his neck.

            "Are you saying…I'm your mate?" Hermione was shaking now, with both nervousness and something else that she just didn't know yet. "A—and you never told me? You've treated me that way, and yet you knew I was your mate?"

            "I was scared," he started. "It all didn't become as evident until last year, and this year I couldn't stand it. People do stupid things when their scared or in love and I chose to do something really stupid. There isn't a day where I don't regret pushing you away." Malfoy looked at her, looking for any sign of emotion. Forgiveness was what he was really searching for. His face softened and he reached out, only letting her get closer to him if she wanted to. Like a puppy.

            Hermione pulled her hands into her lap, wringing them.

            "In love…" She looked down at her hands and bit her lip.

            "I-I.. Draco, this is all really sudden and I had this odd feeling from the beginning that something was up and now that I know what it is…I'm scared. I mean, are you sure that I am your mate?" Hermione knew there was no doubt about it, that a Veela could sense their mate from a mile away, but she was more than nervous. Hermione was terrified of this sudden commitment that she knew she would have to make. "When's your eighteenth birthday?"

            "June 5th. I'm absolutely positive that you are my mate and I knew that you would be scared. Just please think about it. I know that this is all sudden. Just, please...." Draco was the scared one. Probably more scared than Hermione was. He couldn’t imagine dying, leaving his mother behind with his unresponsive father. She would be torn. Draco would just be dust in the wind to Hermione and she could move on easier.