Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Draco nodded. "Yeah. I'm sorry. If I could help it I would but I can't. I can sort of understand if you don't want to be with me." His face saddened and he picked up a book, flipping through it aimlessly in hopes of finding something that would make her stay with him.

Hermione stared at him in silence for a moment before she sighed, clearly frustrated with him.

"Well...if I'm your mate it means we're meant to be, so I'd never find anyone else to be with. So I don't have to wonder if I'm with the right guy." She looked down at the floor and pursed her lips, a habit of hers whenever she was thinking hard. "I mean, if we're meant to be, I don't have to worry about if we'll last or not." Hermione was trying to choose her words carefully, but the sounded childishly worry filled to her.

Draco looked up. "Is that what you were worried about? Wondering if we would last or not? Take a risk, Hermione!" He was a tad frustrated. The only thing that was holding her back of giving herself to him was knowing if he was the right guy? "Complete rubbish! There's another reason you were so hesitant of being with me." His brow furrowed and he angrily picked up his things.

Hermione gulped and looked at him with wide eyes. "Malfoy, you can't expect me to take all this lightly and be perfectly okay with it!" She slammed the book that was in her lap onto the table and stood. "I don't want to be forced into this. I don't know if I'll fall in love with you in time! I don't want to be guilty for your death for the rest of my life!"

"Then don't be!" he yelled at her. "Go live your life because I'm done here! Make a bloody decision!" He stormed out of the library towards the dungeons, not even regretting that he yelled at her. She was being a complete prat and he was done with it. At this point, he didn't really care if he died. Draco was being as patient as he could be with her but that didn't seem to be good enough.

Hermione felt her heart shatter at the sight of his rage. He breathing got heavy and she felt lightheaded from lack of being well rested. Tears prickled in her eyes, but she didn't want to cry anymore, to be weak anymore. With that thought in mind, she went out of the library and to one place she hoped to find solace, than is if it was still there. Hermione leaped up flights of stairs until she reached the location, the seventh floor, left corridor. The tapestry hung on the wall and she paced back and forth three times, keeping one thought in mind.

I need a place to relax and calm down.

After that, the grand, metal door to the Room of Requirement appeared and she pushed it open, the scent of new parchment, freshly mown grass and spearmint toothpaste filled her senses, but the fourth smell stumped her, as it did back in sixth year, the last time she smelled all this together in potions class.

Draco sat with his face in his hands as tears threatened to spill out of his eyes. He was now in the Slytherin Common Room and thought that him in Hermione were done, if they were ever even together. He wondered where she might be, but instead shook the thought off and went up to his dorm for a good rest. When classes started the next day, he couldn't focus on anything. He just sat and stared at his book until he was dismissed. Never had he felt as crummy as he did in those moments.

Hermione never thought she'd intentionality skip classes for a day, but she did in hopes of not seeing Draco. She was already ahead in most of her classes anyway. One day wouldn't hurt, right? She stayed cooped up in the Room of Requirement, listening to sweet orchestras play on the large phonograph. The room was filled with sweet smelling candles, the ones made with love potion to give of desired smells, and it was absolutely relaxing. She sat, huddled in a blanket by a small fireplace, thinking over the past two days that had felt extra-long. She also felt pathetic for skiving off, but she could do with some relief from all the pressure on her.

When classes finished, he went to the only place where he knew no one could find him. The Room of Requirement. It was where he was able to get the Death Eaters into the school last year.

He cautiously walked to his destination, that sinking feeling becoming evident in his stomach as students looked at him as they went to their next class. Draco had a pained expression on his face and he could feel his cheekbones poking out from under his skin that had become sunken due to lack of sleep.

Hermione was curled up asleep, under a big, puffy blanket in front of the fire. She hadn't eaten anything, though the room had supplied food. She was just feeling exhausted and numb, but she didn't know why. Stress had never caused her this much of a problem, but maybe it was just the whole situation completely. Of course, she was a light sleeper, but not this time, for she didn't hear the door open, so she stayed completely silent, wrapped in her cocoon of warm and wonderful smells.

Draco saw the lump under the big blanket, so he quietly pulled his wand out, and slowly walking over to the object he poked it. The room was decorated in candles and smelt faintly of something that drove him crazy. Hermione. He pondered the thought of the lump being her as he poked it again.

Hermione groaned as she felt a jabbing at her rib cage. She gasped then and turned over, yanking her wand out and pointing it at the intruder. Her eyes widened, but she still had that dazed look of sleep on her face.

"Merlin, am I still dreaming?" she mumbled and let her head fall back before pull the blanket up and over her face. "Go to sleep, Hermione," she said to herself, sounding muffled by the blanket.

Malfoy had a confused expression on his face as her eyes closed again. Did she even know that it was him? He poked her in the rib cage again, this time saying her name.

"Hermione," he said sternly. Hermione gasped again and kicked the blanket off her angrily before she sat up.

"What do you want?" she said in a sleepy, but irritated voice. "What are you doing here?"

He stared at her. "I was looking for a place to cool down. I nearly blew up the classroom in potions." Malfoy hesitated a moment. "What are you doing here then? Couldn't you have done, well, whatever this is in your dormitory?"

"No. People would ask questions…like they always do." Hermione sighed and looked over at the fireplace. She was always asked questions about the war or Harry, and she didn't want people to start asking her questions about Draco or why she was skipping classes. "What about you? Couldn't you have gone to your common room?"

Draco stopped. "No. Same thing, except I don't cry." He looked at her red and puffy eyes and knew that what he said was a complete lie. Of course he cries. Who doesn't?

Hermione turned her head sharply away from him before trying to get rid of the puffiness in her cheeks and eyes, but she only seemed to be making it worse. "Well aren't you just lucky then. You have no emotions that don't benefit you…"

"Wow, aren't you smart," he said sarcastically. "Of course I cry. Everyone does. I just don't admit it to a lot of people and cry in situations where it's completely pointless."

She glared at him. "Well I've been under a lot of stress, and in case you didn't know I was being sarcastic." Hermione said sharply before gathering up the blanket and standing.

"Of course I knew that you were being sarcastic," he lied again. He found that it was hard to know when Hermione was telling the truth or not for sometimes, well, as long as he'd been close to her, she was hard to read.

"Well, sure doesn't seem like it," Hermione muttered and started folding up the blanket. She could tell he was lying, but didn't think it was a big deal, but this wouldn't work if he was going to lie like that all the time.

Draco seemed silent as he watched her gather her things. He didn't want her to leave, and yet he didn't want to talk to her either or that would lead to arguing. Instead, he walked up to her and kissed her. Yes, he knew that she was mad, but he didn't care. He didn't remember that last time he kissed her and this is what he wanted to remember. If she didn't make a choice, he wanted this to be the last memory of her. He didn't want to remember them arguing. Just this moment.