But where does that odd strength come from? The ability to move on from something that gives you pain?

"Hey, it's her family. You should know better than anyone that her brother probably comes first to her. Imagine what we would do without each other, Cam."

I grin at my best friend, who is the only family I've ever really had since I was a boy. Kade and I have been inseparable since we were ten, him helping me out on my farm in Addison Town while also playing tricks on our classmates.

When things were tough, Kade was there. Especially when my own father wasn't. Kade doesn't have any other family either, which is why I think we stick to each other so desperately.

Not that we'd admit it, of course.

Who else would defend me when I get into trouble, at home or at school? Without Kade, I might not have survived my rough upbringing. I wouldn't have survived my father. I push the dark thoughts away.

"That would be disastrous," I admit, placing my elbows on my knees. "Remember that one time I pommeled that boy from school? You know Kade, sometimes I wonder if you have more common sense than I do."

He laughs, and I go along with it. Everything is so easy with Kade, like talking to myself but in a reverse reflected mirror.

"Oh, yes! He deserved it, though."

Oh yes, he did, I muse. I can almost feel the crunch of the kid Tyler's breaking nose as my fist made contact with his obnoxious face. He had bullied Kade about his clothes, and about being an orphan. But Kade couldn't do anything about it without being interrogated by the school. So I stepped in on behalf of Kade's honor, and got my first school suspension.

We've been best friends ever since.

"Ah, I still remember the look on his face," Kade reminisces. "I certainly don't miss Tyler. But do you miss home?"

I take a second, picturing Addison's local farms and rolling fields. Back home, my father owned his own farm, raising cattle and chicken and crops to sell in the produce market. But when my mother died, he left it all to rot. Now I have to take care of it, working most of the land myself.

I miss the landscape, but not so much the people. I've never had any relationships there besides my pact with Kade, always promising to look after each other. The orphan and the scrawny, motherless son - two outcasts, now in the army where people thought we'd belong.

"Not really. I miss the farm, but that's about it."

"Hmm, fair enough." Kade says, leaning back in his seat. The fire crackles loudly, becoming almost as orangey-red as his matted hair. "I miss Irene."

Ah, Irene - the sweet little blonde girl he left behind back at home. He probably misses her, and that delicious apple pie she makes. Kade is so in love with Irene that he would often take walks with her around my farm during dawn, trying to impress her with I don't even know what. She's nice enough, but, too simple for me and too perfect for Kade. The way they talk about each other sometimes drives me crazy. I wonder what she's doing now.

Is she worrying over Kade?

My stomach twists a little at the thought of it. She's a nice girl, and was devastated about Kade leaving. I guess that's one thing I'm grateful for by having no attachments to anyone at home.