SIX

"No time for questions, we gotta go!" I called as I peered through the small window in the door. at least eight armed soldiers and Janson were stalking toward the door. Newt and the others tied up the doctors and Frypan blocked the door using one of the steel tables. Surprisingly, it worked.

Thomas had heaved Teresa out of bed and removed the tubes attached to her. I slowly started to put together our only way out was through the glass window behind us. Luckily, Thomas and Newt were quick to smash the glass with two stools. 

They climbed through first and Teresa placed a blanket over the sharp edge before climbing through and holding out a hand for me. Minho had our backs as he held the door at gunpoint. Only after everyone had gone through the window, Minho tossed the gun in Thomas's direction and climbed after us.

Thomas swung open the door after ordering everyone to stay behind him. Behind the door, was another guard and Thomas didn't hesitate to shoot him. It turned out to be a taser gun so instead of killing the man, he just severely electrocuted him.

We picked up the pace and found the exit at the end of a long corridor. Thomas tried unlocking the door by sliding the keycard through the scanner repeatedly, but it wouldn't open.

"Thomas!" a voice barked. It was Janson, approaching us from the end of the corridor. He had four armed men surrounding him, holding us at gunpoint. Thomas raised the gun he had been carrying and loaded it, holding his finger on the trigger. Janson raised his hands. 

"Open this door, Janson!" Thomas yelled.

"You really don't want me to."

"Open the damn door!" A massive headache came up and I started to see black spots dancing around in front of my eyes. I stumbled slightly but steadied myself against the wall.

"Whoah, are you okay?" Newt asked, grabbing my arm. 

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," I mumbled, shaking my head softly.

"Thomas, you have to believe me. I only want what's best for you," Janson spoke and I almost believed his act of sincerity. Almost.

"Let me guess, Wicked is good?" Thomas shot back. Janson dropped his raised hands.

"You're not going through that door, Thomas," he said with an unsettling grin.

"And you're not getting to my girlfriend and baby," Thomas growled.

Minho slid the keycard through the scanner one more time and the light turned green. The door opened, catching Thomas's attention. Winston and Aris were standing on the other side of the door. "Hey, guys," Aris nonchalantly said. 

We got through the door and I had to keep holding on to Newt's arm to stay on my feet. 

"Thomas, come on!" Minho shouted. Thomas opened fire at the guards and hit a few, not Janson though. He tossed the gun aside before he sprinted in our direction. I saw Janson saying something in his walkie-talkie and seconds later, the door started to close. 

"No!" I exclaimed. "Thomas, run!" He was going to make it. He always made it.

Just as the door was about to hit the ground, he took a dive and slid through the small gap between the door and the ground. It slammed shut and I heaved Thomas off the ground, locking him in an embrace. 

Aris was smart and demolished the scanner so no one could open it again. Just as Thomas flipped off Janson, I felt myself getting weaker and weaker. Minho collected a gun from an unconscious guard and I passed out. 

T H I R D   P E R S O N   P O V 

Leah collapsed on the floor, catching everyone's attention. "Leah!" Thomas exclaimed and knelt beside her, checking her pulse. It was there but weak. He scooped her off the ground. "We gotta go."

Minho ran ahead and opened the big, steel door, the one they had come through on their first day here, by pulling a red lever. An alarm went off as the doors parted to reveal a dark, windy night. 

Thomas was sure to keep Leah close to his chest as they sprinted out of the building and into the night. They avoided the searchlights as they climbed up the sandhill. Thomas struggled to keep Leah in his arms as the hill became steeper and steeper. He fell to his knees twice but managed to stay standing. 

They ran through the sandstorm until they reached a building covered in sand that could act as a shelter. Teresa didn't think and ran inside, much to the others' dismay. "Get down here!" she called as soon as she saw that it was safe enough to hide from the guards chasing them. 

Thomas took Leah inside and while Minho inspected the place with his flashlight, he placed her on the floor and took her head in his lap. Newt sat down beside him. "What's going on with her?" Thomas asked him.

"I think she didn't eat enough. After throwing up this morning, she didn't eat anything but a few bites of an apple. You can't live off a few pieces of apple, especially when you're pregnant." Newt checked her pulse again and felt to his relief that it had started to go up again.  "Let's just hope she wakes up and we can find something for us to eat," Newt stated and Thomas heaved her off the ground again. 

"We gotta get moving, we can't stay here," he ordered the others before moving to take the lead. 

"Thomas, stop!" Teresa called. Thomas turned around to face her. "Tell me what's going on."

Thomas sighed. "It's Wicked. They lied to us, we never escaped. Me and Aris, we found bodies, too many to count." 

"What do you mean? Dead bodies?" Minho asked. 

"No, but they weren't alive, either," Thomas stated. "They had 'em strung up with tubes coming out of them. They were being drained. There is something inside of us that Wicked wants, something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible." He paused to let out a breath. "We also found out Ava Paige is still alive, she talked to Janson about how they need to get their hands on the baby because their blood may be crucial in finding a cure." 

In his arms, Leah stirred awake. 

Dynasty // The Scorch Trials [Book 2]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara