FOUR

"I got top!" Minho exclaimed as he rushed to claim his top bed.

After I was brought back to the canteen where I found the boys again, we got picked up by a guard who escorted us to the room where we were going to spend the night. 

Winston plopped down on a bottom bed. "I can get used to this," he sighed contently, folding his hands behind his head.

"Yeah, this is not bad," Newt stated. Behind us, the door was locked from the outside, no possibility for us to open it. I shrugged and claimed a bottom bed, giving my back some rest. I had only been pregnant for barely a few weeks but my back was already aching.

"What do you think those guys want with Teresa?" I heard Thomas mutter to Newt. 

"I don't know, but I'm sure she can take care of herself." He patted Thomas's back. "The thing you should be worrying about is your pregnant girlfriend over there." I quickly pretended that I hadn't been eavesdropping on their conversation. Newt climbed up the stairs attached to my bed and took the one above me, eyeing Thomas with a smirk. 

Thomas sat on the bed beside me. "How are you feeling?" he asked, resting his elbows on his knees.

"Okay, I guess. Apart from the fact that my boyfriend seems to be more interested in some other girl's well being instead of mine," I said in a joking tone. Thomas chuckled. "I'm worried about Teresa, though." 

"Yeah, me too," he sighed, rubbing his face with his hands. I sat up and took his hand in mine. 

"We'll be fine, okay? We made it out of the Maze and we're still together," I told him assuringly. He smiled softly. 

"Yeah, you're right." He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. 

That night, Thomas stayed with me and I fell asleep on his chest. 

***

I woke up in the middle of the night due to Thomas shifting uncomfortably before getting out of bed, trying not to wake me. He covered my body with a thin blanket and I watched him as he splashed cold water on his face at the sink. He came back minutes later and laid behind me again, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me close. 

I soon drifted off to sleep again, it had been the best night of sleep I had had in a while. 

I was alone in a dimly lit room.

"I already told you, she's immune. She'll be perfect for the job," I heard a man's voice outside the room. A few seconds of silence. "I don't care that she just got here. She passed every test, even the ones that the others couldn't." I couldn't hear what the other person was saying, but they obviously didn't want me to do this. 

A woman entered the room, her face blurry and unrecognizable. She sat opposite of me. "I understand you want to do this?" she asked. I nodded. 

"Yes, I was told I could help you find a cure by doing this. I'm willing to do anything," I stated, daring the woman to deny my wishes. 

"You do understand that it is very risky, don't you?" she asked. 

"Yes, I was informed about the risks and I'm still one hundred percent up for it."  

"Very well, then. Let's begin." 

My eyelids pulled apart at the realization someone had woken me up. It was Thomas, crouched on the floor beside my head. "Good, you're awake. I need to talk to you." 

"Thomas, it's the middle of the night," I spoke in a raspy voice as I propped myself up on my elbows, a knotted strand of crimson hair fell in my face and I brushed it away.