A Night For The Books

Deena was shocked for two reasons- one, she may have just partaken a huge role in the death of a man. Two, she was standing in front of Jack's apartment building.

Now, she would've made some kind of cheesy conclusion that it must've been fate or that her conscious was yearning for him and his protection as she was being chased by three mad men- but she was too proud for that nonsense. It was all mere chance.

And before she can stop herself she made her way towards his door. Standing before the green wood she considered the odds.

What would happen if I knocked? Maybe nothing. Maybe hes not even home. Maybe he's home but he's too tired to answer. Or may-

The door swung open before she can finish her thought.

"Hi." Deena finally breathed.

Jack's eyes iced over.

What is he thinking?

His gaze was intense on her eyes. She wanted more than anything to look away but something kept her from breaking eye contact. Deena felt a twist in her abdomen.

He said nothing. What in the world is he thinking?

He turned his back and walked inside. Deena felt a blush creep onto her cheeks. Jack returned while he was in the middle of putting his leather jacket on. Without looking at her he walked past her and out of the apartment.

He left the door wide open. Was that his way of telling her she's welcome to enter?

Deena had no where else to go, so she decided not to dwell on it anymore than she already had. She waited until she could no longer hear his footsteps stomping down the stairs before she went into his apartment and closed the door after herself.

One night of homelessness was enough for her- and this wasn't home.. she wasn't much of a wishful thinker but it was closer to a home than a drugstore restroom.

She was about to settle on the couch- but figuring that he wouldn't return until much later she decided that she much preferred the warmth and comfort of a real bed- and his bedroom door was open. Teasing her was the site of a soft comforter covering his mattress.

Convincing herself- Deena walked into his room and crawled under the comforter yawning.

-
Jack sat in front of his computer screen editing a - trying to edit a chapter of his novel, but his mind kept racing back to her. Her soft skin, the way she kept biting her lips and twisting her fingers. Her company.

He was such a fool thinking he could get her to drink. So self centered. He knew she didn't drink, she's mentioned it before.

But her timid behavior infuriated him. He wanted to break that spell- which he believed her softness to be nothing but a spell. And he wanted to break it the only way he knew how to. 

Then she told him to stop. That word rushed to his brain and split his thoughts in half causing him to just about double over. So self centered. Of Course she wasn't enjoying it, he practically forced himself on her.

Jack hated that he let her walk out that way. He frightened her, he'll he frightened himself.

Shaking his head, he stared at the words on the screen.

"Stop thinking about her, she's gone." He murmured as the elevator down the hall dinged.

Jack's fingers froze on the keyboard, he felt her. That must've been her coming off the elevator. Something in the air shifted and everything became absolutely still. Even his mind, which was running his memory wheel and making him feel like shit, stopped.