Decisions

Jack and Deena slept half the day away. He awoke with a start. Running his hand over his face, he sighed at the realization that the current situation he was in wasn't in fact a nightmare but a reality. Sleeping beside him was a timid little thing he picked up from his best friend's bar.

It all felt surreal to Jack. A runaway bride at this day and age. Jack watched as her steady breathing softly pushed her short hair away from her swollen lips. Dammit it. She was one of those. He knew a girl like her. Who looked naturally stunning. Swollen lips, heavy eyelids, and sleepy eyes that looked up at him through bed messy hair. For a second Jack imagined her smiling up at him. He knew at this point that would be impossible.

He probably ruined the possibility of a normal relationship with this little kitten. From the distance she kept from him, Jack knew Deena didn't even trust him. Getting up, he pulled on last night's clothes and went to the diner.

Dolly wasn't there. He didn't know to be disappointed or glad. Instead of taking a table, Jack sat on the bar grabbing a cup of coffee and flipping it. The waitress came around with the glass coffee carafe and filled it. This one was younger- slimmer. Much slimmer. Jack can see her hip bone straining against her skin. The badge on her left breast said she was called Sam.

But her face was made up the same way. Thin eyebrows, bright makeup. The kind of look that made Jack think of birthday parties and certain red nosed performer.

Jack's mind trailed back to Deena. She had a clean face.

"Where's Dolly?" he tried to distract himself from the girl he'd shared a bed with without touching.

The girl turned from the coffee machine. "Sleepin'. Who's askin?"

"Jack."

"Yeah? How do you know Dolly? She isn't your suga momma now, is she?" The girl popped her gum.

Jack chuckled at the idea of Dolly and him. That ought to be something Navis would get a kick out of. "Maybe. You jealous?" he teased the girl.

Sam shrugged. "that depends on what you're packin'"

The corner of his lips tugged. She was a smart ass and Jack knows to appreciate the rarity of a sharp tongue. Deena could be a smart ass, he thought. Maybe if she wasn't so damn timid.

"That good, huh?" Sam leaned against the counter shoving her cleavage into Jack's line of vision.

She had to know he was shameless. He didn't shy away from studying the soft creamy slopes as they tucked themselves into her uniform. He slowly lifted his eyes to meet hers. "When do you get off?" Jack asked thinking about the kinds of STD's she probably collected over the years but not giving a damn. He decided if he wanted to keep his hands off the kitten in his motel room, he'd have to relieve himself elsewhere.

_

Deena awoke to the sound of a car door slamming. She sat straight on the bed and looked around. Jack wasn't there. Standing, she walked to the window and peeked through the curtain. Outside there were two men leaning against a station wagon talking about something she couldn't make out. They looked like farmers and they certainly didn't look like anyone Mr. Tabarak would know.

Turning the faucet on she watched without surprise as copper colored water ran down. There had to be a better place for them to stay than this.

Walking back out, she stared at the bed her and Jack had just shared. He didn't try anything last night. They just slept. Maybe he wasn't into her anymore. Deena felt slightly disappointed. She thought maybe they were transitioning to a new more intimate phase in their relationship. 

There was a feeling in her gut that she was no longer the timid girl she was in his apartment. Who was she kidding, she can feel the animal inside her soul. Begging for its release. 

Deena's mind traveled to that dark place in the corner of her memory where she kept his letters. To the things she wanted to do to Mr. Masser when she learned of what he'd done to him. Shaking her head, Deena willed herself to leave that evil corner. It wasn't her. It couldn't be her. She couldn't become her father. Timid was what she was. 

Well that was a quick change. A voice inside her teased.

She wanted to give this thing with Jack a chance. And she needed to stop looking at him as a stranger. A stranger wouldn't do half the things he did for her.

Deena decided. She would speak to him when he returned. Open her heart and be honest about what she wanted. That she wanted to give it a try. Maybe then they can make a plan as to what would happen next instead of just going with the wind.

**********
Thanks for stopping by and reading Uncoiled! Please comment, like, or share the story.