Finding The Bride

"Stupid, stupid girl," Deena muttered cursing herself as she made her way down one of the more familiar streets of New York. She tucked her head in the back of Jack's hoodie- the only thing she managed to grab on her way out of that apartment before it could burn her alive.

"What did you think" she chanted bitterly "that nothing would happen.. that you could just live with- with a man ?"

-a very desirable man.

The more honest voice in her head decided to join her ranting.

So what? He kissed you. What's the big deal? You enjoyed it. You've longed for his arms to circle around you from the moment you laid eyes on him.

The voice continued. It was true. It was all true. Jack did things to her that she never imagined a stranger would be capable of doing. Not since Michael.

She felt like she knew him- actually knew him even without knowing him. She wanted too much in such a short time. She wanted to get away, she wanted to start a new life from scratch that meant without Jack. But at the same time she wanted him, all of him, to know him more- to include him in her new beginning.

But it felt wrong- it all just felt so wrong.

And so right.

The hypocrisy.

But who is there to judge you?

And he promised not to try anything. How can I trust him when he couldn't keep one silly little promise? He was being selfish.

You're being selfish- and childish. Maybe he was right-

"Maybe he was right. Maybe I am nothing but a child."

Deena sighed. What now? She needed some place to stay and unfortunately she didn't have the time to grab the address of that shelter she found while researching with Jack's laptop. 

Head bowed, she continued walking until she came across a drug store. She needed a safe place to sleep- something discrete and this was as good as any. Avoiding the counter and the customers, she found her way towards the restroom. Locking herself in a stall, she sat on the toilet lifting her feet onto the seat and folding her arms around her knees. Deena silently prayed no one would check the stalls before locking up.

She stopped a heartless chuckle. But biting back the tears, the laugh forced itself out.

"back to square one," she cried remembering the night she ran away.

----

Deena awoke to the loud whooshing sound of a hand dryer. She was stiff and ached everywhere. Her body felt like she'd been run over by a bus and spat out unscathed. Removing her legs from that awkward position, Deena stood and stretched. Without considering who could be in there with her, Deena walked out of the stall and towards the sink. Turning on the faucet she splashed cold water on her face. It wasn't till the mother shuffled to her daughter's side that Deena payed any attention to the people in the room.

"Come on Annalise. It's time for us to go."

"But mom. I'm not done washing my hands-" a little girl responded. 

The little girl looked up at Deena and smiled. Ignoring the mother, Deena gave the cute brunette a wink. The mother took this as a sign to grab her daughter by the arm and run out of the restroom practically dragging the little girl behind her. Something Deena would've thought to be odd but she  didn't have any energy in her to give a damn.

Outside, the morning sun draped across the city like a heavy curtain. Tucking her hands in her pockets, Deena walked down a busier street then she remembered last night. Turning a corner, she looked up at the sign Emmon's Ave. There was a lake or river near, she could smell the water. Turning her head, Deena spotted a dock and smiled. She always dreamed of living near an open bay. 

Walking towards the outdoor cafe, Deena noticed a man with a newspaper in his face and a plastic cup of coffee with a sealed lid. Without breaking her stride, she grabbed the  cup without the man noticing.

She chuckled, removed the seal, and took a sip.

"Mmm. Double double, just the way I like it."

Now if only she could grab a croissant-

"Deena?"

Before she can stop herself or even think about who the voice belonged to, Deena looked up at the man calling her. It was her brother in law and for  a moment they all froze in disbelief- her, the brother in law, and the two other groomsmen he was with the night they chased her. Taking the moment of surprise to her advantage, Deena turned in the opposite direction and ran as fast as she could. Coffee still in her hand, and her heart in her throat- Deena maneuvered around people. She bumped into enough people to get a couple of bruises.

"Deena stop!" One of them called after her.

No fucking way.

One of them was gaining up on her, just as she was crossing the street she felt someone grab her shoulder. Flipping off the cap of her coffee. She splashed back the hot liquid on the person's face without turning around.

"Ahhh! Stupid bitch." the man spat. Clutching his eyes- blinding himself in the middle of the street.

The sound of a crash and honking stopped her in her tracks. She turned to see her brother in law sprawled in front of a cab.

"No." Deena whispered trying to understand what just happened. The two other groomsmen caught up in time with the crowd gathering around her brother in law's unconscious body. The crowd drowned her out from their view.  Giving up on trying to catch her they knelt down beside the body- shocked. One of them screamed out. Deena didn't stay long enough to see more. She used this as an opportunity to run.

"What have I done."

Now that she's got his brother's blood on her hands Mr. Tabarak is going to want her head on a stick.

**********
Thanks for stopping by and reading Uncoiled! Please comment, like, or share the story.