Hospital, After Liz's Surgery

Liz woke up, and was disoriented.  It took her a few minutes to remember what happened, and where she was.  She looked around the room, and at her body, and saw bandages covering her body.  At first, because of the pain she was in, and the location of the bandages, she thought she was in the hospital right after the kidnapping.  Then, she looked, and saw Jack asleep in the chair next to her bed.  She smiled, and remembered she was married, with two beautiful boys, and safe.  Then, the rest of the memories came flooding in - Timmy!

She gasped, and then the tears started rolling down her cheeks.  She closed her eyes, and remembered seeing the car speeding down the road, and she remembered seeing Timmy in the street, looking at her and smiling.  She remembered him trying to take a step towards her when the car hit him, and she remembered seeing Timmy flying.

She opened her eyes again, and looked at Jack.  He was asleep in the chair, snoring lightly.  He had always been able to sleep anywhere.  She gently shook her head, and smiled.  She watched Jack sleep for a few minutes, debating if she should wake him up or not.  As she was deciding to let him sleep, the door opened, and in walked a doctor.

Jack jumped up, and stood to shake hands, "Good morning, Dr. Owens. "

"Good morning, Mr. Lewis, Mrs. Lewis. How are you feeling this morning?"

"I'm feeling sore, but I'll be OK.  So, when can I go home?  Jack and I need to plan the funeral for our son, Timmy.  He had an accident and died yesterday."

Dr. Owens and Jack exchanged a quick glance between them, and then Dr. Owen's looked at her.  "Mrs. Lewis, due to the nature of your injuries, I have asked for one of our hospital Psychiatrists to come in and meet with you, talk to you, and make sure won't be a further danger to yourself.  I am concerned that this could happen again, and...."

"Look, Dr. Owens" she said, "I know you have to do your 'cover-your-ass' thing.  I get it.  But, my SON died.  Yesterday.  My three-fucking-year-old twin son.  His twin brother doesn't know yet.  I need to get the fuck out of this hospital, and plan a funeral for my fucking son.  I WILL be leaving this hospital.  My husband will be taking me home later today.  Bring me the 'leaving against doctor's orders' paperwork so we can sign it and be on our way.  I'm not going to hurt myself."

Dr. Owens stood and listened to her rant.  When she was finished, she collapsed back on the bed, her eyes shooting daggers at Dr. Owens.  He then said, "Mrs. Lewis.  As I was saying before you interrupted me, I do, indeed, need to have a hospital psychiatrist meet with you.  I have already filed the legal paperwork to hold you here against your will."  He put his hand up in a "stop" position and continued talking.  "In fact, Dr. Smith will be in here to see you within the hour.  I have also made arrangements with the funeral home your husband said you would use, and I will have their director come here, to you, to go through all the plans for Timmy's funeral.  I have informed Dr. Smith of your circumstances, and have been assured that once you are cleared as not a danger to yourself, you will be released.  If you are determined to be a threat, we will make arrangements to have you supervised during the funeral, and then we will bring you back here for proper treatment.  I have gone over all of these details with Mr. Lewis."
She looked from Dr. Owens to Jack and back several times.  Jack watched as shock, anger, sadness and then acceptance crossed her face.  He could tell she was still angry, but understood she would not be leaving.  She looked away from both men, and stared off into space.  She entered her world, and her arms flapped and she flew away from the hospital.  She flew away from Jack, and from Dr. Owens.