Goodbye

"..,seizure, and we couldn't get him...."

She just heard that small bit, and she knew her beautiful Timmy was gone. Tears started flowing, and she forced herself to return to the present to listen to the doctor.

"Timmy started having a seizure, and we couldn't get him to stop seizing, even with medicine. His heart and breathing stopped, and we couldn't get it restarted. We worked on him for over an hour, trying everything we could think of. I am so sorry, we couldn't save him."

She looked at the doctor, looked at Jack and took a deep breath. The doctor continued, "We are waiting for the coroner's office to come and examine Timmy. Once they get here, they'll determine if an autopsy is needed, or if we can transfer him directly to the funeral home. Unless you want to donate any of his organs for transplant?"

"Jack, what do you think? I think, if we can get anything positive out of Timmy's death, I'm in favor."

"I agree, please have them take anything they can use to help another person."

As she and Jack walked out, after making plans to meet the funeral director at ten the next morning to make funeral arrangements for Timmy, Jack said, "We have a lot of calls to make tonight. I assume you want me to make the calls, right?"

"No. I thought we could grab a quick bite to eat, and make a list together, then divide it up, and we could both make calls. Is that ok with you?"

"Sure, that's fine." Jack grabbed her hand, gave it a quick squeeze, and then dropped it. She looked at Jack, gave him a weary smile, then, she escaped to her own world. She flapped her wings and she flew.... she flew far, far away. She would soar, free fall, glide, swoop, fly in circles, and she loved it. She felt free, no weight holding her down, no one to answer to, no one to make happy. No one to hurt her. She felt safe, for the first time in years.