Broken Pieces ✨

A/N: Hayy guys! Sorry for not updating in a while I just haven't had much inspiration these past couple of weeks. On top of that I've been binge watching This Is Us and if you've seen the show then you'd understand.

I've called out of work, my Kleenex budget has doubled and I haven't been able to focus on anything since I started it. My Snapchat was literally filled with videos of me crying because it's just so damn good. It hurts to watch but it also hurts not to watch.

Hope you guys can forgive me!

^.^.^

I feel my heart bang furiously against my chest as the words fall from his lips. He said it, he said those words. Like somehow he's been reading my mind and knows exactly what to say to get me to open up to him.

I take solace in his arms and take in a deep breath. I tell myself that this is a good thing. We needed to end up here and we were always going to. This was the only way for me to learn how to fully trust him despite this uneasy feeling in my stomach.

I start by telling him about my current family. How ma is a college professor and a single parent. I tell him about my oldest brother, Keon. He's in his final year of college and studying to be some type of engineer. He wants to fix planes and such and well he already knows about David.

I stop talking letting that sink in and eventually he speaks up. "You said your mom was a single mother. What happened to your dad?" He questions.

I knew at some point he would as and at some point I would have to tell him. Like I said before I've never fully told a Vanilla about what happened to my family. Having no idea where to start I remain quiet for a second.

"Remember when you asked me why I hit you up?"

"Yeah"

I let out a breath between my lips. "It's because of my dad, it's his birthday today" Cole's demeanor changes to a more happy one congratulating me but I tell him to stop. He senses my non-excitement and asks my why I don't look happy.

I shrug my shoulders, "Because I'm not happy. Ma left with Keon and David's mad at me and honestly I don't want to be alone and the only person I wanted to be around today was you" I answer resting my head against his chest.

He questions me about Queen and Jade. "I never called them. I just wanted you here"

"Why?"

I feel a lump form slightly in my throat as I try to explain, "Because um-two years ago my father was killed" I reveal to him. I feel his body tense a little as I mindlessly begin playing with the buttons on his shirt.

"Police brutality, a cop shot him in the streets"

He doesn't say anything and I think it's because he doesn't know how to respond. I don't blame him though, I still don't even know how to respond to all of this. I continue on telling him that I was sixteen when it happened. I can still remember that day as if it just happened yesterday.

I remember my brothers and I walking home. Me begging for some stupid phone case and how annoyed I was that she wouldn't give in. Looking back on it I can't believe how upset I was over something so meaningless.

Then we heard the pounding door.

I feel him wipe my face and I realize I must be crying now. "She was yelling about something on the news and we were so confused. Ma broke the news to Keon first and there was this pained look on his face when he found out. I'll never forget that" I stop for a second to clear my blurry vision and I feel his hand slip into mines.