Chapter 16

JACK

"We're here" I announced as I carefully parked my car. Angel looked at me curiously after glancing around in confusion. I purposely parked a little bit further from the building because I wanted to surprise her as we slowly walked towards it.

"Wait, don't get out yet" I said before getting out of the car and jogging over to the passenger side to open her door. "After you, milady" I bowed as I opened her door, making her giggle. I smiled at her actions and shut the door behind her.

"So tell me Jacky, where are we going?" she questioned. I playfully glared at her for using that name again before pretending to zip my lips and throwing away the key. She gaped at me and paused in her steps, making me let out a chuckle. I gently grabbed her arm and pulled her along with me.

"Keep up little lady"

She narrowed her eyes as she stated "I thought you couldn't speak Jacky" she peered at me innocently but I knew she was anything but innocent. Rolling my eyes, I intertwined our fingers together and walked alongside her. Being in her presence made me feel all types of great things.

She reminded me of her.

Not today, Jack. I shook my head to get rid of my thoughts and focused back on Angel who glanced at me curiously but never spoke a word. We got closer to the building and all of a sudden she gasped loudly.

"You brought me to laser quest?!" She squealed with excitement and bounced on her feet. Laughing at her reaction, I reached for her hand to pull her along but she was a step ahead of me. She took off towards the entrance, leaving me in the dust. Shaking my head in disbelief, I ran after her before she knocked into someone.

Damn, she's fast.

After catching up with her, we made our way to the counter and got our tickets for the game. It took me a lot of time to persuade her to let me pay but she gave up once she realised she left her wallet at home.

Jack 1, Angel 0

"Alright, guys! The rules are simple: you find the blue light, you shoot it until it turns off. You shoot the other players where their light is glowing on their vest to gain points. The player with the highest points wins. When the buzzer is heard, you start the game. Good luck!" Leo, our instructor, had helped us get into our vests and had explained the rules to us more than once.

I was in team Blue whereas Angel was in team Green. I sent a smirk in her direction and she pulled a face in return, making me let out a hearty chuckle. My team members looked at me in confusion as my shoulders heaved up and down to control my laughter. Angel giggled at me before the buzzer went off, announcing the start of our game. Our team formed a circle and shouted 'go blues!' just before we ran into the arena like our lives depended on it.

A few minutes into the game, I spotted a blue light flashing in the corner near the top of the opposite teams base and I made my way there slowly. Suddenly, a flash of green passed by me and I quickly threw myself onto the side, not noticing the barrel prop in the corner. I groaned inwardly as my hip harshly came in contact with the barrel. Looking back up, I noticed the blue light now flashing rapidly and I remembered what Leo had said:

"When the blue light flashes quickly, that means you'll get double the points so if you see it, go for it."

Forgetting everyone around me, I sprinted towards the blue light. I wanted Angel's team to lose so I could rub it in and annoy her as much as I could. As I got closer to the light, I noticed a shadow near the wall. I shrugged it off, thinking it was probably a prop.