Chapter 4

BETH

Adrenaline pumped through my body as I ran. As we ran. Our hands were interwined as we moved faster and laughed. We ran until we found the old tree house hidden in the woods behind his house. We slowed down to catch our breath and look back to see if our parents followed us. Once the coast was clear, we looked at each other and started laughing.

"That was amazing! Trevor don't you think that was awesome?!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms in the air, as high as my tiny arms could go. Trevor nodded eagerly and replied

"That really was amazing! Our parents didn't even notice"

Suddenly, the ground lit up, making me and Trevor jump. Fire. I widened my eyes as fear overtook my body.

"Tr-Trevor what's going on?" I questioned, frightened.

"I don't know Beth. Come here" he opened his arms wide for me to close the gap between us. I ran to him and hugged him tightly. He held me close as the fire spread across the ground and cackled violently. With in the blink of an eye, Trevor's body was pulled apart from mine as he fell backwards and I was pushed into a small pond.

"Trevor!" I screamed and tried to run to him but it was too late.

"No no no! Trevor come on! Fight it please!" I cried.

Trevor smiled weakly.

"I told you I'd always protect you Beth" I gasped as he started sinking faster into the fire. I fell to the ground crying as my 10 year old best friend was swallowed deeper in the ground by the fire.

"Beth"

"Beth wake up please!"

I shot up from my bed, panting and sweating. I looked around and saw I was safe and in my room. Dylan stood infront of me with a worried and confused expression. I sighed in relief and ran my hand through my hair.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Dylan questioned, sitting beside me on my bed. I couldn't hold it in. I burst out in tears.

"Dylan I- I can't get over it! Ev-every night, I have nightmares about what happened 7 years ago and it just.. why couldn't it have been me who died? Why did I have to force him to come with me to the treehouse? I was so stupid! If I didn't beg him to come with me, I would've died instead!" I cried. Dylan was by my side in a flash. He held me close to his chest and held my hand.

"Don't blame yourself Beth. It wasn't your fault. Some drunk asshole lost control of the car that he shouldn't have been driving. He pushed you out of the way. He took care of you, he saved you Beth. He saved my other half and I'm so grateful for that. Which 10 year old would do that? He didn't blame you when it happened. Instead he smiled before forever closing his eyes. Yes, it was painful when you came home with his parents and cried for 2 weeks everyday. You locked yourself in your room. His parents didn't blame you. They accepted the fact that that's how short his son's life was. They treated you as their own. No ones blaming you so why be so hard on yourself? You should be thankful you got to spend time with him. You say he was the best thing that happened to you yet you blame yourself. He wouldn't want you to be sitting here in bed, crying for him. He would want you to be happy and move on. He would want you to enjoy and have fun with everyone. I'm not telling you to forget about him. I'm telling you to remember him but in a good way. Please Beth, don't do this to yourself" he drew circles on my back in a soothing manner.

He's right. Stop crying Beth.

I sniffled and blinked back a couple of tears. I turned to Dylan and hugged him.

"Thank you" I whispered, holding tight onto him. He hugged me back before pulling back and kissing my forehead.

"If you want, we can stay home today and watch all the Disney classic movies while eating your favourite ice cream" he smiled cheekily at me. I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Why don't you want to go to school?" I asked, crossing my arms across my chest.

"I may have a maths test I didn't study for" he explained. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Of course. Even if we want to stay home, mum and dad are going to find out" I groaned, falling back on my bed.

"Nope, don't worry about that. I messaged mum telling her you're ill so I have to stay home and look after you. She replied with 'take care of my baby!'" he said, showing me the message. Indeed, mum had said that because obviously, I'm her favourite child. I shrieked and jumped out of bed, throwing myself onto Dylan. He grunted as he lost his balance and we fell to the ground. He groaned and pushed me off him.

"Jeez Beth, you're so fat" he complained, jokingly.

"Thanks" I said sarcastically before pulling myself of the floor and walking into my ensuite bathroom.

After watching The Lion King 1 and 2, Dylan decided to invite over a few of his friends since school had finished (go figure). He told me he'll be going to a party later on so if I want to invite some friends over I can. As soon as I went to my room, my phone started to ring. It was Jasmine.

"Hel-"

"Where were you today?! Do you KNOW how worried I was! No message was left by you and I thought something bad happened to you so I asked Parker but he didn't know either and then I-" she rambled until I cut her off.

"Jesus, breathe Jazz breathe" I interupted. I heard her breathe in and sigh before she started talking again.

"You could atleast leave your best friend a message saying you won't be coming today"

"Okay sorry. Happy now? You only wanted me to say sorry" I sighed dramatically and fell back onto my bed.

"Yes very. Oh god I forgot. A certain someone was secrectly looking for you todaaay" she sang. I rolled my eyes at her before realising she can't see me.

"Jazz you already told me you were looking for me and got worried. No need to say anything anymore" I said, twirling a lock of hair.

"Ugh not me stupid. Sam. Sam freaking Henderson was looking for you all over!" She squealed.

My eyes widened at this new information and I sat up quickly.

"Sam? Why would he be looking everywhere for me?" I questioned.

"That I don't know. Oh yeah I forgot to tell y- OKAY WAIT FOR GOD'S SAKE!" I pulled my phone away from my ear as she screamed.

"Sorry, Wren keeps calling me. Gotta go. Bye bitch" She hung up. So typical.

Wait what did she want to tell me?

---------------------------------------------------------

Omg this is such a long ass chapter but it had to be done because of the lack of updating. Sowwwwyy 🙊 I love you guys though ❤

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

Rewritten 09/02/18