Chapter 61

TRIGGER WARNING

Here's to life with no regrets

See you again all one day

Give me love or give me death

Can anyone ever really say?

-The Way It Ends by Landon Pigg

DELILAH

The body has two mechanisms when in a dangerous situation: flight or fight. With one you run away from danger, with the other you fight it. I've realized that there is also another one, one that isn't really thought about at all: shock. Everyone tells you that after you experience a traumatizing event you might go into shock, but no one ever tells you that you may go into it as the event unfolds; stopping you from taking any immediate action. 

I knew I needed to fight.

I wished I could. 

But my body froze, my mind was on overdrive, so much that I couldn't even feel the contractions I was having. So much that though I wanted to fight with all my strength, I couldn't. 

It was as if it wasn't happening to me and I was simply watching a horror movie.

I told her not to hurt you.

"No," I breathed, pushing away from Brian as I began to understand. He'd been in contact with Carissa the whole time... He'd been with her.

"No, no, no this can't be happening." I heard myself, and still, it wasn't me speaking. My own voice sounded so far away, so distant... I was detached. 

The cruel sting of betrayal inundated every part of my being in that moment. I looked at the green eyed man, a man I'd blindly trusted with my life and saw nothing but deceit.

"No, you c-can't be doing this to me," I said, shaking my head, denial claiming my words. It wasn't possible, he was my friend... I thought he was my friend.

I felt a bout of hysteria welling up; my heart pounding in my chest, adrenaline rushing through my veins but not reaching the muscles in my body.

"I told you, Delilah," Brian said, cupping my face as if I should have known this all along. "You and I, we're the same."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, my head spinning. This man had destroyed me in just a matter of seconds with just a few words.

"She was supposed to get you out of here," he said with a hint of amusement. "Get you to the airport, 'meet up' with me there..." he nudged her body with his foot, shaking his head. "Shame she didn't listen."