Chapter 56

& tell the Devil that he can go back from where he came

His fiery arrows drew their bead in vain

& when the hardest part is over, we'll be here

Our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear

-Crossfire by Brandon Flowers

DELILAH

I straightened my hair for the first time without being in a hurry. Now sixteen weeks pregnant, my energy was coming back so I didn't mind waking up early to get dolled up for work. The baby moved and then my stomach growled reminding me that it was time to eat. 

"Hang on, little one. I'm almost done with my hair," I mumbled. 

The water in the shower stopped running, and Liam stepped out. I had to stop myself from drooling when I saw him, water dripping down his body, a perfect smirk on his lips and his muscles flexing as wrapped the towel around his waist. With twenty minutes to spare I was sure we could-

"You don't have to just stare," he said with amusement.

I bit my lip as he placed an arm on each side of me, cornering me in while he nuzzled my neck. 

"We have a few minutes to get rid of those 'hormonal' issues you're having... if you want," he whispered. 

What came out my mouth was supposed to be a yes, but instead it came out more like a moan. He lifted me up to the counter and sure enough, got rid of my issues fairly quick. 

*****

"Come on, bud," I said to Adrian who was taking his time putting on his shoes. "We've got to go or you'll be late to school."

Liam chuckled, coming around and placing a kiss on my forehead. 

"I'm leaving, baby. I have to get to the shop early."

I nodded, flashing him a smile. He returned it except it looked forced; it didn't meet his eyes. I knew he wasn't mad at me, especially not after our little encounter in the restroom. But something was definitely going on.

"What is it?" I asked when Adrian went back to his bedroom for his backpack.

"I'm meeting Caleb today."

I felt my heart drop. Sensing it, Liam cradled my face in his hands, attempting to soothe me. It had been two weeks since we heard from Caleb, or so I thought, but now with the news that Liam would be meeting with him I felt overwhelmed. I looked away, feeling like it was the last time I'd be seeing Liam.