Chapter 17 Part 2

DELILAH

DELILAH

I appreciate apologies because I know how hard they can be to do. I appreciate the fact that he owned up to his mistakes, just like I was attempting to own up to mine. 

Apologies only do so much when the reason for the problem shows up though. 

"Fuck," muttered Liam when he saw Carissa stepping out of the car. "She usually spends Christmas Eve here, too."

"Perfect little family you guys were, huh?" The sarcastic comment left my lips along with an accusing glare. 

I walked away, over to the porch where my dad and mom appeared to be talking. I felt so left out, like I just didn't fit in with any of them. My mom didn't talk to me and Liam's lying bitch ex/current girlfriend also showed up and she had no problem greeting my parents. I went to the kitchen for another glass of wine; I was going to need it.

I downed the liquid, hoping it would take effect sooner rather than later. 

"I didn't know she was coming, Liam didn't either."

My dad leaned against the counter, taking my image in. 

"Yeah. Well... neither did I," I said with a nervous chuckle.

"I never thought your mom would invite her considering that you would be here with Liam."

"Well, she's not too fond of me at the moment," I mumbled.

My dad chuckled as if nothing was wrong. "You've turned out to be a strong young woman, Delilah." He scratched the back of his head. "I thought you were on drugs or something."

"Dad!"

"We didn't know anything about you," he said with a shrug but the smile never left his face. "Liam was destroyed trying to get everything together, hell, trying to find you. Your mom cried for days on end and I had no clue where my little princess had gone. Your reason to leave was simply that 'you couldn't do it.' That wasn't reason enough for us, still isn't."

"I know b-"

"Let me talk, dear. Your mother is hurt, she's very angry. I've tried talking to her but you take after her. She's stubborn but with a heart of gold. She'll come around eventually. As far as that woman goes, Carissa... Don't let her get to you. Liam has never looked at her the way he looks at you, not even when you weren't here."

"Really?" 

"Really. That boy has only ever had eyes for you."

I bit my lip, wanting to tell him everything that had just happened. He didn't give me a chance though, speaking up and taking me by surprise. "He told me what happened. He's very sorry."

"Guess I deserve it in a way."

My dad looked offended. "No, you don't. You were always faithful to him and he knows that. I had to stop myself from whooping his ass for thinking you cheated on him."