Five

I opened my eyes. The first thing that I saw was a blurred figure standing off to the side. It was leaning against something, letting the shadow from that side of the room fall upon it. My eyes were drawn to the side, where a small fire was flaring as another figure bent over it.

What the hell?

I tried to sit up but immediately whimpered at the pain that shot through my body in protest. My whimper, apparently drew their attention, because the figure that was bent over the fire came rushing to my side.

It started murmuring gibberish. A string of garbled words that I couldn't understand but ones that sounded oddly familiar and melodic. I didn't bother to think on the familiarity for long because it was getting slightly annoying. Why was this person speaking to me in another language? Why was I even here? Where was Sheila?

I shook my head and stared hard at the person, whom I now noticed was an old lady. She had a kind face and it was only because of that, that I didn't freak out at the fact that she was a complete stranger.

"I-I..." I croaked out, before licking my dry lips.

My throat was so dry. I tried to swallow but the spit seemed to evaporate as soon as it reached the back of my throat.

Apparently, the woman noticed because the next thing I knew, she was pressing a cool metallic thing against my lips. I lifted my head a little, but winced at the pain.

She turned her head and barked a few words in that strange language. My eyes followed hers to see she was addressing the figure immersed in shadow. Without a word, the figure silently stepped forward and in a few, graceful strides was at my side.

I looked up at the figure. It was a man. His mouth was set in a firm scowl and his dark eyes never met mine. He was actually quite...hot. I looked away in embarrasment, even though he couldn't read my mind. Then it dawned on me. Both the old woman and the man looked Native American and when I thought about it, they were both dressed fairly strange. Well, really strange. The man wore no shirt, leaving his bronzed muscled chest exposed. I couldn't see whether or not he was wearing bottoms.

Just then, a strong, tensed arm coiled around the back of my neck and gently lifted me up. I glanced at him again, but he was still wearing that same unpleasant expression. The sound of gibberish drew my attention to the old lady again and she held the cup to my lips. Obediently, I opened my mouth and inwardly sighed as the cool water replenished my dry throat. I drank every last drop of that water as if it was the last taste of water I'd ever have.

The arm slowly placed my head back down on the cot, or whatever it was that I was laying upon. It felt like a cot of some kind. Not a bed, that was certain. I shut my eyes.

"Thank you." I whispered.

The silence that met my reply was quite unnerving, so I opened my eyes again to see that they were both staring at me. The old woman seemed to regard me with caution, while the man seemed like he was on edge.

"You speak the language of Ve'ho'e. White man." The man sneered before turning to address the older woman.

The string of garbled words he spewed at the old woman seemed filled with rage, or something close to it. I watched the exchange, as both of them threw words back at the other until finally, they both left.

Wait a minute.

Did he just say that I speak the language of the White man? What the hell did that mean?

<><><><><><>

It's short, but I just wanted to update.

I heart this story. <3

<3 Parables