chapter 11

Hiccup POV:

I lay against Toothless staring bordly at the sky above. I would have liked to sleep until night, but I also wanted to listen. Though I'm good at hiding it, my senses are as acute as Toothless, so hearing the commotion at Berk from the cove is easy. I can't tell what is being said or done, but I can determine tone. I could hear the excitement of whatever was going on. I assumed it was some sort of match, most likely a viking verses dragon. I heard a noise which caused me to looked over at Lucky. He was practically healed now. He still can't fly far distances, but his limp was practically gone. He was starting to act like the typical scuttleclaw now, to Toothless's annoyance, but we are both grateful because that just means he is feeling better. I smiled at the thought and closed my eyes, enjoying the peaceful day while still keeping my ears open.

Then suddenly, I heard the commotion. The excitement was gone from the voices and now there was screaming and yelling. Dread gripped me as my first thought was one person, by the Gods Astrid, what are you doing?

"Come on bud!" I yelled jumping up. I put my helmet on and placed my dragon scaled cloak on my shoulders. I jumped on Toothless's back and beckoned for Lucky, I had a feeling that he'd be needed. For what? I don't know, but after my years of voluntary exile, I learned to trust my instincts. We launched into the air faster then an arrow and shot towards Berk in a hurry. Then, something dawned on me which caused me to laugh like a madman. Toothless glanced back at me with a confused look. I smiled at my friend and said, "I bet this is how you felt that day?" Realizing what I meant, he smiled back.

We arrived at the arena and realized that things looked... pretty bad. Astrid must have done something like I expected because she looked angery or sad. My fa- no, Stoick shoved her away and advanced towards the dragon. Well, I couldn't let him kill the nader and yelled, "STOP!" Everyone including the dragon looked up as Toothless and I dove into the arena. Most vikings screamed "NIGHT FURY!" and ran out of the arena. I saw that only all the gang stayed as well as Gobber who was the last person holding down the nader. She (I know it's a she due to me living with dragons for five years) broke free from his grip and turned menacingly at him. Toothless flew through the hole that the villagers seemed to have decided to not fix; despite having five years to fix it, and landed between Gobber and the deranged dragon. I jumped off Toothless and motioned for Toothless to get Gobber out of the arena. I kept my eyes on the Deadly Nader before me, but heard Gobber yell, "get yer dirty-", I felt a swoop of air above me and heard a thud, indicating that Toothless flew through the hole and dropped Gobber, possibly on his rump, safely out side the arena. "Cover the rest, make sure the dragon can't get to them, she seems berserk", I yelled when I sensed Toothless's return. I heard a commotion and heard a girl like scream come from Snotlout and a yelp from Fishleggs.

Now its just the two of us, I thought smiling.

Omniscient Narrator:

The mysterious man in the dragon scaled cloak stared at the raging dragon. All of Berk was silent once more, as a legend was standing before them. No one spoke, only thought their thoughts of the 'Night Rider'.

I imagined him... Taller.

...and buffer.

I wonder who he is.

The dragon lowered herself ready to charge. The Mysterious Rider stood motionless, staring at the dragon with his green, calm, calculated eyes. Then, the dragon bolted at him. With a swift motion, he reached into his cloak, opened his satchel, and pulled out a handful of dragon nip. The dragon went from a vengeful demon from Hell, to adorable puppy dog within seconds. She slid to a stop right in front of the Rider with curiosity. He stared scratching the dragon on the nose and then scratched her under the chin, knocking her out cold.