40

The interview went better than expected and I was busy telling Corey all about it while we got ready for dinner with his parents.

"Did they ask any questions about me?" Corey asks with a smirk.

I chuckle and playfully roll my eyes. "Yes, they did ask a few questions about us," I say with a laugh.

"What'd they ask? And what'd you say?"

"You can see when the interview comes out." I smile and lightly laugh when he groans.

I plug in my flat iron and sit down at the table/ desk to straighten my hair. I was separating my long hair into different sections when I get a text from my brother.

Are you going to be okay for your dinner? Want me to come to your room? I was typing a response when my phone buzzed again. Never mind that, I'm coming anyway; I need to talk to you about Dad.

Within a minute, there was a knock at the door. Corey opened it, and my brother came in and sat on the floor next to my chair.

"Are you good Clo?" My brother asks.

"Yes, I'm fine right now; is Dad okay?"

I get concerned when Cody let's out a sigh.

"That hand thing has been happening all day today. He keeps telling me it's nothing, but it obviously has to be something."

"Did you look it up on the internet? Maybe it has a list of things that it could be." I suggest.

"Don't tell her that list." Corey interrupts.

I set the heating tool down and turn myself towards the boys. "Why can't he tell me?" My head starts spinning and travels to what it could be.

Cody runs his hand through his hair and lets out another small sigh. "I did look it up already. The things on that list weren't that good Cloe."

"What were they?" They remained silent which scared me. "Tell me what was on the list or I'll just look it up myself." My voice was harsh, but I couldn't help it. They were making it seem bad; really bad.

Corey and Cody give each other a look. Corey raises his eyebrow which Cody replies with a shake of his. "I'll tell her after you guys are finished with dinner. I don't want to ruin this night for her."

I roll my eyes and go back to straightening my hair. As much as I wanted to look at that list of possible diagnoses, I knew that this night was about Corey and me meeting his family, and I didn't want to ruin that.

"I'm gonna leave now. Text me if you need anything, Clo."

"I will. Bye."

"And Corey, keep an eye on my baby sister."

"Of course."

Cody walks out, kissing the top of my forehead when he walks past me.

"Are you almost ready babe?" Corey asks, coming up and sitting where Cody had just been.

"I just need to finish my hair and then we'll be set." My smiles small because my mind is still occupied with my dad.

Corey stands up and squeezes my shoulders, then leaves a small kiss on my cheek. "You're dad's going to be just fine Clo; let's not worry about it tonight, okay?"

I turn my flat iron off and stand up. Putting my arms around Corey's waist, I reach up and kiss his lips. "I'm not worrying," I lie, "Now let's go, so we're not late."