19

I didn't know what to say. What was I suppose to? We both knew Cody wasn't ready for this.

"It's this girl I slept with a few times. She came to the stadium today and told me." His voice was low and I could tell he was trying to stop himself from crying more.

"Is she keeping it?"

"I don't know yet. We're suppose to meet up to talk about it tomorrow before the game."

I nodded slowly, trying to process it all. "Cody," I tried to make my voice sound as comforting as possible because I didn't know what else I could do in this moment. "You can't be a dad. You're not ready for that."

"I know I'm not. I don't know what to do Cloe, I can't raise a kid- I'm still a kid!"

"Cody I don't care what you do but I'm not letting you give this baby up for adoption. Don't let that baby grow up thinking their parents didn't care about them enough to want them in their lives."

"I know, and that's exactly what I told her. But what difference is it even gonna be if I can't be a good dad."

   "Cody I'll help you with this. The boys will help you and I'm sure Dad would come down to help you out too. You're not gonna be alone during this."

   "I feel like I just ruined my whole life. My whole future is gone Cloe." His voice broke and at this point I didn't know if it was the beers he had drank or the actual him speaking.

   "Don't say that Cody." I scolded him. "Why the hell would you say that?" His comment really pissed me off. We had a mom who left because she thought we weren't enough, she thought we were life ruiners. And I know he's probably just saying it without meaning it 'cause he's not really in the right state of mind, but still.

   "It's true. My baseball career can't keep going if I have a kid I need to be with 24/7 and that's my job! It's my whole life and it's gonna be over!"

   "How do you think Dad felt when our mom left him alone with two kids. He could've easily quit baseball and found something else but he didn't. He wasn't cowardly like you're acting right now. He took us with him and raised us while he played and made a name for himself." I tried keeping my voice calm because I know I shouldn't yell at him but it was taking all my self control to keep myself from doing so.

"Dad's 10x the man I am. Fuck that hes 10x the person I am. He always has been. I've never been a good person and now it's starting to show." Cody said with a frown like he didn't see what everyone else did.

   "How could you say that? You are not a bad person."

   "Then what the hell am I cause I know I'm not a good one."

   "You're my big brother, and you've always been there to watch out for me and protect me and help me with everything. You're the best person I know."

I saw something in his face change. His looks of anger and fear disappeared and he looked down and gave me a small smile. "You really think I can do this?" He asked hesitantly.

I nodded and returned his smile. "I do."

He wrapped me in a tight hug and thanked me before apologizing again.

"It's fine. I know you didn't mean to snap."

"You're not selfish Clo, and you're not a bitch. I should've never used those words with you, I didn't mean any of them."